Tuesday, August 13, 2013

First/Last-We Are Temporary


"We Are Temporary, the wired and weird brainchild of Brooklyn’s Mark Roberts, is as much the result of a musical obsession as a philosophical one. His debut EP Afterthoughts oscillates between musical violence and frailty, lyrical defensiveness and vitriol, bursts of optimism and crushing nihilism.  First conceived in a small studio in New Zealand, this recording was shaped over the course of five tumultuous years, and nearly met it’s end in a Brooklyn emergency room."


Check out the band at their official Website, Facebook, SoundCloud, Twitter, BandCamp and Instagram. The band (AKA Mark Roberts) have just released the "Afterthoughts EP" via Stars and Letters Records which you can grab digitally for free here. Described as "...exploring the space between darkwave, goth, and dreampop", this band is for fans of Trust, Crystal Castles, Xiu Xiu, Skinny Puppy,M83, Salem and Sacred Bones. Sometimes I like to get a 'little dark' on the blog and I want to thank Mark for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.
 
The first album you ever bought?
The first four CDs I got for Christmas were Nirvana "Nevermind", Pixies "Surfer Rosa", some Peter Gabriel record, and Metallica's "Black Album". Before that I owned a few Michael Jackson, Bon Jovi, and Skinny Puppy tapes my babysitter turned me on to.

Your last album bought?
Prurient's "Bermuda Drain" on blue vinyl.

Favorite album of all time?
It's a three-way tie between Pixies "Surfer Rosa", Nirvana "Nevermind", and Skinny Puppy "Last Rights".

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Every single Skinny Puppy studio album since "Last Rights".

First concert attended?
Metallica "Black Album" tour with Suicidal Tendencies and Alice In Chains in Germany. My buddy and I bought brand new jeans jackets, cut off the sleeves, and patched them up in the weeks before the show. We were roughly 13 and didn't know shit. Best day ever.

Last concert?
Prism House, Adventures, and Ladytron (DJ set) at Glasslands in Brooklyn last week.

Favorite concert ever?
Yikes. That's a tough one... there are so many: seeing Deine Lakaien live in 1994, Sigur Ros in 2002, Yonsi in 2011, M83 in 2012.

Least favorite concert?
Not sure I have a least favorite one.

Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
I played a live-to-air on one of the college radio stations in Pittsburgh in 2009 with my old band, The Enright House. We had the most amazing breakfast somewhere.


Thanks, Mark. I have to admit, I am not the biggest expert on your genre of music but I can certainly appreciate what you do, man.

No comments: