Monday, August 5, 2013

First/Last-Elephant Gun


"Americana-baked, ballroom swagger with a penchant for screaming describes Elephant Gun. Metal-influenced folk pop works too. Country-punk seems a bit of a generalization, but fuck it. World/Inferno Friendship Society meets Against Me! for Chicagoland’s hippie punks. They’re an eight-piece rock band with too many influences to name. If Jared invites one more dude or lady into the mix we’ll kick his dick. No. Nevermind. It’s fine. Because as all-over-the-map as they may be, they know how to craft full-on records just as well as they do orchestral basement-rock. For that we are proud of them. Jared may keep his goods safe."

Check out the band on Facebook, MySpace, Blogger and BandCamp. I had so much fun discovering music through the Paste 50 States Project, I have decided to continue coverage this week beginning with Illinois and Elephant Gun. I want to thank Jared Olson (Guitar/Vocals) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
“Rubber Soul” by The Beatles (thanks dad!).

Your last album bought?
Surfer Blood “Pythons”.

Favorite album of all time?
Super tough question… I've always favored “Mutations” by Beck and “Wowie Zowie” by Pavement as my go-to jams. I also love “Déjà Vu” by CSNY a whole bunch.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
I've been disappointed by Beck's output recently. It seems he has lost a bit of his lyrical charm.

First concert attended?
Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band.

Last concert?
I saw The Walkmen at The Metro for their 10th anniversary. It was such a great show.

Favorite concert ever?
CSNY at Red Rocks a few years back. I went with my Dad and brother; it was a great show in a beautiful amphitheater. Neil Young and David Crosby killed it.

Least favorite concert?
I always find myself having an uncomfortable time at the huge outdoor festivals I've attended. Unless its Bluegrass, Folk, or traditional Country in a barn, music sounds its warmest in a room.

Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
We toured through there once. I was completely floored by how pretty it was. We played a punk house, everyone was really nice, then we had to bail for another town right away. I remember sitting on a beautiful hill over-looking the river valley and really enjoying a beer.


Thanks, Jared. Second on your Beck opinion. There is actually a covers album by one of my favorite musicians Joel Morales from Dios Malos called, "When Beck Was Cool". I guess he feels the same way.

No comments: