Tuesday, August 13, 2013

First/Last-Paint Fumes


"Modern rock ‘n’ roll doesn’t get much trashier, dirtier or more frantic than Charlotte, N.C.’s Paint Fumes. These guys seem to live the results of huffing their name, spewing reckless rowdiness with a dizzying fury from every song. Uck Life is the garage-rock-rooted band’s debut LP, and it’s a balls-to-the-wall explosion of energetic grit and grime. Frontman Elijah von Cramon’s shouts and howls are too fiery to decipher, and paired with the frenetic riffs and drummer Josh Johnson’s relentless fast-paced pounding the sound threatens to blast out your eardrums even at low volume."

Check out the band on Facebook, and BandCamp. Continuing our travels through the musical landscape of the USA courtesy of the Paste 50 States Project, we head to North Carolina to check out Paint Fumes. You like your RAWK with a dose of  'nasty, garage, punk mess'? Check these dudes out. I want to thank Elijah Von Cramon (Guitar/Vocals), Brett Whittlesey (Guitars) and Josh Johnson (Drums) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
Elijah Von Cramon: Snoop Doggy Dogg “Doggystyle”.
Brett Whittlesey: Michael Jackson's “HIStory” album when I was 10 or so. Strange record.
Josh Johnson: The Exploited “Live" on cassette.

Your last album bought?
Elijah: Germs “G.I.”.
Brett: “The Marble Index” by Nico.
Josh: NWA “Straight Outta Compton".

Favorite album of all time?
Elijah: That is tough, but one of them is definitely The Gun Club “Fire of Love”.
Brett: My 'gun to the head' answer would have to be “Funhouse” by The Stooges.
Josh: Don't have a favorite but have tons I like a lot. Been rocking the Hell Shovel record a bunch. Also the new Bloodshot Bill. And the NWA.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Elijah: Paint Fumes “Uck Life”. Ha-ha just kidding, I really have no clue.
Brett: A particular album doesn't come to mind, but modern country music must come from hell.
Josh: Probably every shitty grunge/alternative crap that came out in the 90's. I hate that stuff.

First concert attended?
Elijah: Grateful Dead when I was like 2 or 3.
Brett: Bob Dylan in a big concert arena.
Josh: First show was some local bands and Fugazi. I was like 12 or 13.  My first big arena concert was Metallica. So lame. Ha-ha.

Last concert?
Elijah: My last "concert" was New York Dolls. The last show I went to was Dino's Boys.
Brett: Elijah and I saw Dino's Boys at Strange House in Charlotte. We know them from Atlanta, great band.
Josh: My last show I saw was down the street at the outpost. Can't remember the names of the bands. I was super tired and went home early.

Favorite concert ever?
Elijah: Norton Fest.
Brett: Maybe the first ever show we played with Acid Baby Jesus in Elijah's basement. We played and then ABJ tried to tear the building down by the foundation. It was wild stuff.
Josh: Hmmmm. I would say the last King Khan BBQ show I saw a few months back. Arish was in a great mood and everyone thought he was on acid. And Mark punched a guy in the face on stage. Ha-ha, good times. And those guys are the best!

Least favorite concert?
Elijah: Maybe the New York Dolls one because THEY had to open up fucking Poison and Mötley Crüe... that's just wrong it should be the other way around.
Brett: Bob Dylan in a big concert arena. Not what he used to be.
Josh: I had a girlfriend one time and she bought us tickets to this all girl folk thing.  I didn't like it at all.

Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Elijah: Never been but I think we will be playing there in October!
Brett: Very much looking forward to going!
Josh: I haven't been to Pittsburgh in forever.  Although I can say my first visit there was insanely fun. I almost got arrested for shitting in public and me and this dude huffed drugs and drank then stole a parking meter and tried to break it open by throwing it off a building. We also fried up some deer meat in an alley.  No lie. Weird couple of days. Also it is the home of one of my favorite DJs Mad Mike!!! He used to rip off the labels on his 45's so no one new all the rad surf and frantic boogaloo he would spin. Norton Records has put out some of his compilations. They are great!

Thanks, fellas. Pittsburgh in October? Cool beans. See you soon.

No comments: