Tuesday, August 20, 2013

First/Last-Carousel


"Conceived in early 2010 by guitarist/vocalist Dave Wheeler and drummer Jake Leger, the band's music incorporates many elements, most notably the harmonized guitar lines of Thin Lizzy, the bombast of Mountain, and the rhythmic propulsion of Diamond Head, Motorhead, and other bands whose names include the word "head". Christened Carousel by drummer Jake, the band went through numerous personnel changes before cementing its lineup with the addition of guitarist Chris "Twiz" Tritschler and bassist Jim Wilson. Carousel has been a mainstay of the Pittsburgh rock scene since its first show in May 2011, sharing the stage with local punk, metal, and rock bands as well as touring acts such as Mount Carmel, Purling Hiss, and Disappears. Soon after the successful self-release of Tears of Stone, their debut 12" EP, Carousel returned to the studio in February 2013 to record a full length. Word of the band spread during the sessions, and Carousel was invited to join the Tee Pee roster."

Check out the Pittsburgh band on Facebook. Their debut album, "Jeweler's Daughter" drops today on Tee-Pee RecordsCarousel will celebrating by holding their release party at Belvederes Ultra-Dive on Friday, September 6th. I want to thank David Wheeler (Guitar/Vocals), Chris Tritschler (Guitar) and Jake Leger (Drums) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought? 
David Wheeler: ZZ Top “Eliminator”.
Chris Tritschler: Quiet Riot “Metal Health”, 1983. I was in 1st grade. I saw the video on MTV before school, and I bought it in the record section of Zayre's on McKnight Rd. I took the record to school that following Monday and played it in class. My teacher called my mom about it and said that I was bringing devil music to school. My dad broke it over his knee, and that pretty much galvanized my love for the genre.
Jake Leger: Either ‘Weird Al’ or Cypress Hill.


Your last album bought? 
David: Bob Seger “System Mongrel”.
Twiz: Blue Oyster Cult S/T. I got it at a Pgh Record Fest for $4. Stoked.
Jake: “Hot In The Shade” by KISS.


Favorite album of all time?
David: Probably Black Sabbath “Vol. 4”.
Twiz: Metallica “Master Of Puppets”, or “Kill 'Em All”. I go back and forth between the two.
Jake: Led Zeppelin, S/T.


Least favorite/most disappointing album?
David: There are so many awful albums... It's tough to pick just one. Probably something by Enuff Z'Nuff or Bang Tango. Let's just go with “Psycho CafĂ©” by Bang Tango. Or like... Whatever that Dog's Eye View album is called? I haven't even heard it but I'm already willing to say it might be the worst ever.
Twiz: Post-1991 Metallica albums.
Jake: Jesus Lizard, “Blue” (big fan, bad album).


First concert attended?
David: ‘Weird Al’ at I.C. Light Amphitheater, '94.
Twiz: Chuck Berry at Point State Park, 1980 or 1981 (I can't remember). He was playing for an arts festival or regatta or something. One of my earliest memories is him duck-walking across the stage. I mean, I didn't decide to go to the concert on my own, I just happened to be lucky enough to have my parents not leave me at grandma's that day.
Jake: Thee Speaking Canaries at the Beehive in Oakland.


Last concert?
David: The Melvins at Mr. Small's, May, 2013.
Twiz: Alice Cooper in June, 2013 at Stage AE. During his set, the super moon was out. From where I was standing, it was perfectly framed by some of the buildings in Pittsburgh's skyline (PPG and the First Niagara building I think). It was such a cool experience.
Jake: OutsideInside record release show.


Favorite concert ever? 
David: Favorite big show is Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Motorhead, and Testament at Post-Gazette Pavilion, 2008. Favorite club show is Graveyard at Kopec's, 2008. Favorite local show is Midnite Snake, Kim Phuc, Oxford Collapse at Iron Eden, 2007.
Twiz: Stinking Lizaveta at Luciano's. Sometime in 1995 or 1996. I can't remember who else played. Shale maybe? Anyway, Stinking Lizaveta blew my mind. I hadn't yet heard of them. The whole band channeled something magical during that set, and Yanni was running around like a crazy person playing his guitar. That was the first of many times I'd get to see them. They are my favorite band.
Jake: Tough one because I have so many awesome memories of concerts. I will say Don Caballero at a VFW hall in Squirrel Hill. I was young and my mind was blown.


Least favorite concert?
David: The Sword at Mr Small's, 2010.
Twiz: This is referring to bigger venue shows right? Like something I'd have to buy tickets for in advance? If that's the case, I can't say that I have a least favorite. I am pretty picky when I go to a concert like that. I usually only bet on a sure thing. I've gone to a ton of smaller shows that have had elements of disappointment. The usual stuff... songs not played that I want to hear, shitty sound, show gets shut down, drunk band members, etc... I was pissed when they pulled the plug on Pentagram and Venom this year at Maryland Death Fest this year. Jake: The Promise Ring at Laga. Why was I at that show??


Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh? 
David: I'm a Pittsburgh native, and the bands that I've discovered here over the past 10-15 years have shaped my musical identity. Bands like Modey Lemon, Grand Buffet, Don Cab, Microwaves, Conelrad, Meltdown, Zombi, Centipede E'est, Midnite Snake, Kim Phuc, Harlan Twins, Brown Angel, The Fitt etc., etc., etc., have been as much, if not more, of an inspiration as Black Sabbath or any bigger name band. Going to local shows and forming friendships with other musicians/music fans made me realize that i didn't have to be on the outside looking in.
Twiz: I love Pittsburgh. I've been in the area my whole life, and I've lived in Bloomfield the last 3 years. I think my favorite thing is probably riding my bike around the city on side streets and trails at night, or in the early morning. That's the best way to see Pittsburgh. It is a beautiful place. We have some incredible musicians and artists living here. I find inspiration and pride in that. There are new spots popping up for shows and art. It's an exciting time to be here. I love this city.
Jake: What's not to like? I think we have a certain honesty and integrity as a city. Good bands too.


Thanks, fellas. Can't wait to hear the album. Here's hoping it doesn't sound anything like a 'post-1991 Metallica album'! Ha!

No comments: