Tuesday, August 6, 2013

First/Last-Black City Lights


"Black City Lights are Calum Robb and Julia Catherine Parr—a producer and vocalist duo from Wellington, New Zealand, who are quickly emerging as one of New Zealand's most talented young bands.  Since releasing their debut EP Parallels on Stars & Letters Records in March '12, they've already been awarded two highly sought-after government grants from NZ on Air, produced a stunning video for their song "Parallels" with The Masses production team (i.e Beach House, Passion Pit, and Bon Iver), and have opened for international touring bands like Grimes, Baths and Van She."

Check out the band at Facebook, BandCamp, SoundCloud ,YouTube and Twitter. The New Zealand band release their debut album, "Another Life" via Stars and Letters Records today and will be touring the US this upcoming October. If you are a fan Zola Jesus, Beach House, The xx or Cocteau Twins then check this duo out. I want to thank Calum Robb (Production) and Julia Catherine Parr (Vocals) for taking a few minutes to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
Calum Robb: Mike Oldfield “Tubular Bells”.
Julia Catherine Parr: Oh gaaahd... “Aqua”? Something tragic.


Your last album bought?
Calum: Jai Paul “Demos/Leak”.
Julia: Baths “Obsidian”.


Favorite album of all time?
Calum: Doves “The Last Broadcast”.
Julia: This is always a hard question for me, I have so many and it can depend on my state of mind but right now I’ll say Mogwai “Mr. Beast”.


Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Calum: Daft Punk ”RAM”.
Julia: Lots of people told me to listen to The XX so I listened to “Coexist” and there's only one or two songs I like. Overall, I found it quite disappointing.


First concert attended?
Calum: Layo and Bushwacka.
Julia: Big Day Out, 2007.


Last concert?
Calum: Grimes.
Julia: Kirin J Callinan.


Favorite concert ever?
Calum: So So Modern (Szo Szo Modern).
Julia: Every Camp A Low Hum (Festival - but always the best music/time. Always.)


Least favorite concert?
Calum: None.
Julia: I probably can't remember it because it was that bad I erased it from my memory. I generally go to concerts I know I will enjoy.

Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Calum: I know it's in Pennsylvania, and one of the new Batman films was shot there.
Julia: I like the word 'Pittsburgh'. I like the way it looks and sounds - not knowing anything about Pittsburgh, it makes me want to visit.

Thanks, guys. I love your limited knowledge of Pittsburgh. I have to say, it's more than what I know of NZ, that's for sure.

No comments: