Monday, July 22, 2013

First/Last-Girl Scout


"Four-piece slacker rock band from Pittsburgh, PA. We'll come to your house, hit on your girlfriend, smoke all your weed, drink all your beer, throw up in the lawn and call the cops on your party after we leave."

Check out the band on Facebook. Consisting of members from such bands as Breezewood (R.I.P.) and Low Man, these dudes are just starting out so you can brag to all your friends that you "heard them here first" in the future. Or go see them tomorrow night at 222 Ormsby with Lisabi and Ex-Planets. My thanks to Jay Cadwallader (Guitar/Vocals), Jeremy Zerbe (Guitar/Vocals), Dane Gaydosh (Bass) and Mark Frankel (Drums) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
Jay Cadwallader: The first album that I ever owned was Hootie and the Blowfish's “Cracked Rear View”. My cousin gave that to me and I got a couple of Sugar Ray and Smash Mouth albums for Christmas that same year. As my collection was expanding I started to develop a love for owning physical copies of music, something that is alive in me to this day. What really sealed the deal was the first album I ever bought, in fact. I got The Beatles’ “Abbey Road” and have been searching for something comparably as masterful ever since.
Jeremy Zerbe: I actually recently did one of these First/Last's for my other band, Low Man, so you already might know that the first cassette I ever bought with my own money was Oasis' “Be Here Now”. But the last cassette I ever bought before I moved on to CDs was Silverchair's “Neon Ballroom”!
Dane Gaydosh: Pretty sure one of the Smash Mouth albums. "Fush Yu Mang", I think.
Mark Frankel: Probably Green Day’s “Dookie”, if I remember correctly, but I was also into boy bands and rap. A lot of boy bands and rap. The beginnings of my music career are not pretty...


Your last album bought?
Jay: I was super happy to find a vinyl copy of “Building Nothing Out of Something” by Modest Mouse in a stack of vinyl a friend had suggested I look through. Easily one of my top 10 favorite albums of all-time and it’s been out of print since the 90’s. Nothing quite compares to the relaxation I find in a room that is black with exception to the orange illumination from my turntable's platter strobe and ‘Baby Blue Sedan’ spinning in the background.
Jeremy: Boards of Canada, “Tomorrow's Harvest”. And it sounds more like the ‘Tron’ soundtrack than the ‘Tron’ soundtrack does.
Dane: Deafheaven's "Sunbather". Awesome.
Mark: Queens of the Stone Age “…Like Clockwork”. Simply amazing. Waited years for this album and it didn’t disappoint. A little too short though if you ask me.


Favorite album of all time?
Jay: This is such a difficult question. I think that Girl Scout is the first band I have been in that dove tails a question like this, a lot of my biggest influences are alive in this music and it has everything to do with Jeremy being on the other side of the songwriting duo. Bands like Modest Mouse, Bright Eyes, Cursive, Sonic Youth, Built to Spill, Pavement, Dinosaur Jr., and the Pixies tend to dominate this question and for the first time I'd say that's obvious with a first listen of my own band. Picking a favorite is very hard, but it's always between Modest Mouse's “Lonesome Crowded West” and Bright Eyes' “Fevers and Mirrors”. Today's dark horse mention is “Terror Twilight” by Pavement.
Jeremy: I have to stand by "The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society", but their "Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Part One" is just as good.
Dane: My favorite album changes like every month. A staple is "As the Roots Undo” by Circle Takes the Square. Also, "Roads to Judah" by Deafheaven and "Suffocating in the Swarm of Cranes" by Downfall of Gaia. Is it becoming clear how far off my general music tastes are? Ha-ha.
Mark: Real tough question. Gonna’ have to go with “Exile on Main St.” by the Stones. Can’t ever go wrong with the Stones. But a close second would be “Lullabies to Paralyze” or “Songs for the Deaf” by QOTSA.


Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Jay: I used to say “The King of Limbs” by Radiohead, but the album has grown on me and seeing it live proved that one of my favorite bands of all time still had it going on. Lou Reed recently made the questionable decision to team up with Metallica, however, and the result was something that Reed fans will covet much less than The Velvet Underground’s work with Nico. Metallica is as far off base as you can possibly imagine for a man who fostered much of the hipster image. Fingers crossed that he and Bowie collaborate soon so that I can stop thinking about it.
Jeremy: I'm glad Beck is putting out two albums this year because (while it is by no means terrible) "Modern Guilt" really didn't make any kind of impression on me whatsoever. He's one of my favorites, and for that album to just fly completely under my radar was almost as bad for me as hating it.
Dane: Definitely the "Herbivore" album by Momentum. Their "Whetting Occam's Razor" album was absolutely amazing. And then the follow up/companion album "Herbivore" was so disappointing I haven't listened to it since I originally got it. I gave it a couple tries. Hate it.
Mark: “Brothers” by the Black Keys. Was a huge fan of this band for a long time, since “Thickfreakness”. The single came out a couple months before, was awesome so logically I was looking forward to this album. Out of almost 20 songs, only like 4 were decent, Huuuuggggeee disappointment.


First concert attended?
Jay: My very first show was Steely Dan. If you don't recognize that name I highly suggest them. They were always my dad’s favorite band so incidentally I heard them my whole life growing up and tether them to a lot of memories from my childhood. I can't promise that for you but they are the bees knees.
Jeremy: Hank III was my first concert with my parents, but by myself it was The Bouncing Souls. Some skinheads poured beer on me and my friends. It was totally punk rock.
Dane: Pennywise, Anti-Flag and Bad Religion. Pretty cool. It was at some ice rink that they'd covered up the ice with carpet. When Bad Religion started I got immediately swallowed up into a mosh pit I'd been avoiding. They were ripping up the carpet in the middle of it and moshing on the ice. So crazy.
Mark: Blink 182 after “Enema of the State” came out. I was in 3rd grade and a huge fan. My mom took me, so that was awesome. What wasn't awesome at the time; Travis Barker broke his thumb so they had a stand in. Laaammmeee.


Last concert?
Jay: I've been on a streak lately, every concert I go to, I'm meeting the artist. I'm losing concentration as I type this on my phone though, it's the 4th of July in the lovely Dormont bureau of greater Pittsburgh, the air smells of hot dogs, and a flag dress donned mother is yelling at her 5 flag dress dawning daughters. What a sight! God bless. Anyhow, the last two shows I have been to were The Evens (where I met Ian MacKaye of Fugazi and Minor Threat) and The National w/ Dirty Projectors where I met another hero of mine, Dave Longstreth. Both guys were really endearing and talked with me at pretty great length about music in general. They exhibit no pretensions whatsoever, in fact both actually asked about Girl Scout.
Jeremy: The last show I was at that I didn't play was Chrome Sparks at Garfield Artworks. Jeremy Malvin and I have known each other for a long while and now I play music with a bunch of his old bandmates in my other band, Low Man. He's a good dude and he's totally hitting it big now. I'm proud of him. And a little jealous.
Dane: Anamanaguchi in Philly. Sick visuals, sweet dancin' jams, and like 300 sweaty nerds all jammed together.
Mark: My roommates took me to a DJ set back at school, Flosstradamus, it was definitely fun, but not really my scene.


Favorite concert ever?
Jay: I have a ticket from every show I have ever been to with exception to this show. I put my jacket down in front of the barricade that I was being smashed into (because I voyaged to DC and was front and center) and the tickets were never to be seen again. The show was Conor Oberst's punk band The Disappeared, or as you may be more privy to, Desaparecidos. They'll be in Cleveland in October, if you like Oberst's way with words but insist that Bright Eyes is for girls, check it out. You have time enough to fall in love with it and bum a ride. Joyce Manor opened this particular show. Both acts really captured an excitement level that I've never seen rivaled before. My girlfriend was really upset to miss the show at that time but I have to say that the performance exuded a worry factor because I was only in charge of myself. That was a really nice night, capped off with Conor stage diving right into my arms!
Jeremy: Last time I said it was a toss-up between Andrew W.K. and Lightning Bolt, but come October, and I'm really hoping that Nine Inch Nails at the Petersen Events Center tops the list. I've been waiting to see Trent Reznor live for most of my life, SO YOU BETTER NOT DISAPPOINT, YOU HEAR ME, TRENT?
Dane: Hard to say. But the most fun was probs The Aquabats. They had crazy stuff happen. And their songs are fun as shit. Dancin’ so hard.
Mark: Eagles of Death Metal about 4 years back. A friend and I got there early for front row. Was the most personal and sincere show I think I've ever seen. Halfway through the set, Jesse Hughes sent the band away to do an acoustic song then started taking requests from the audience. And seeing Joey Castillo on the drums live is amazing. Such a treat. Just an unbelievable show all around.


Least favorite concert?
Jay: My former band Breezewood opened for a 'new emo' band Dads. To this day I don't know why it happened but their guitarist, Scott, punched me in the head a few times during their set. It didn't hurt too bad but I was defenseless and people were certain that I had acted up in some way that would have encouraged and even justified violence. The whole thing really bummed me out and I was down on Pittsburgh music for a while afterwards. I think it's really important not to make anyone feel that way when your music is a community the way it is here in Pittsburgh. The show Girl Scout played at Howlers the other night was a really fun time and the relationship between artist and artist and artist and crowd, in this city, is something I have always appreciated.
Jeremy: Hopefully not this Nine Inch Nails show, OKAY TRENT??
Dane: I've never really had that bad of a show. But I did get my car keyed while I was at Anamanaguchi. Fuck that.
Mark: I got dragged to a free Neon Indian show visiting a friend in Cincinnati a few years back. Never heard of them before at the time so didn't know what to expect. Definitely not my type of music though, I can certainly say that.


Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Jay: It can be a little hard to break into the scene right now, we have a young core that is obsessed with this newer emo genre. I've found my niche with an older group of guys who have a similar affinity for the guitar wielding slackers of the 90’s. I wouldn't label the scene that's starting to rise as "stoner rock" but I wouldn't go so far as to deny it either. The willingness in the community to help one another out and rep each other’s work is the most beautiful thing about Pittsburgh. It’s something that is unique to Pittsburgh according to most touring bands I’ve talked to. A lot of the smaller venues in the east coast are being shut down right now. Breezewood ran into this right before we evolved into Girl Scout in favor of age and a chance to play more bars. In addition to the comradeship we are brimming with thriving DIY venues, any age kid can get his moment in the limelight and draw a pretty big and interactive crowd. Pittsburgh really has the whole gambit when it comes to hip cities on the rise.
Jeremy: I love Pittsburgh and everything it's got going on. Music here can be a little exclusive sometimes, but there are some amazing bands and great places to play.
Dane: Ha, dude. I've only been here since October. So, I don't know. I get to go to a lot more shows. Get drunk and listen to some mediocre to crappy bands. Good times. Pittsburgh's music scene is actually pretty good though. Other than that’ jammin’ on some Girl Scout obviously.
Mark: I love Pittsburgh, born and raised here. There's no city like it, will always be a part of me. Way too many memories here to start going into, but all of them good. Hopefully many, many more to come.


Thanks, fellas. Looking forward to hearing some music soon, for sure.

No comments: