Monday, July 29, 2013

First/Last-Adam Faucett


"Drawing comparisons from Townes Van Zandt to Tim Buckley to Otis Redding, Arkansas born and bred Adam Faucett is most known for his powerful, almost operatic voice and intricate finger-picking. The Arkansas native's sound has been described by The Arkansas Times as "somewhere between Otis Redding's soul shout and Cat Power's swampy poeticism".

Check out Adam at his official Website, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube. I first discovered him and his wonderful music through the fantastic and ongoing Paste 50 States Project. Pittsburgh's own Donora and New Shouts have been a part of the series and if you are even a casual reader of the blog you know how essential both bands are to me. I will be featuring some of my favorite band discoveries from the feature this week and happily begin today with Adam. Hailing from Arkansas, (this week is all about the 'A' states) Adam's latest release is "More Like a Temple" from 2011 but I am told he is currently working on mastering and artwork on his next album which should be out within the next few months. I want to thank Adam for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
The first tape that I fell in love with was a Queen “Greatest Hits”, red collection.

Your last album bought?
  I played a show last week with this band Spirits and the Melchiz Children from Atlanta. Sludgy but clean. I got their first album and it has been riding with me ever since.

Favorite album of all time?
Too many favorites to list ‘em all. I have a number of artists I find myself coming back to a lot. I’ve been listening to the Silver Jews "Bright Flight" for a solid decade now. Same with Sparklehorse "It’s a Wonderful Life". I’m usually not too far from a copy of Velvet Underground’s self-titled album.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
It’s not BY FAR my least favorite album but I needed more out of the first half of “King of Limbs”.

First concert attended?
Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs.

Last concert?
Brother Andy and His Big Damn Mouth!

Favorite concert ever?
Man, I saw Sonic Youth in Memphis Summer ‘00 on their ‘NYC Ghosts and Flowers’ tour. Played the album straight through. That is my favorite record from that time. It destroyed me. They were opening for Pearl Jam, I was not there for Pearl Jam… damnit. No one but me and my buddy gave a shit it seemed about Sonic Youth. It was dark except some projected subway scenes. Hunched over, playing the most dissonant songs I had heard at that age in front of a thousand confused fans waiting quietly for ‘Jeremy’. Like any true and great art should it scared me. I left there a new person... and feeling bad for PJ.

Least favorite concert?
Not sure but am sure I played it.

Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
I Love Pittsburgh! Never nothing but fun for me. I slept in a helmet that I found at this party because it made sense at the time.  I used to spend a lot of time in West Virginia and we would drive to Pittsburgh just to see what civilization was up to. I have a friend and fellow songwriter that is more or less from Pittsburgh, Nathan Xander now based in NYC and I meet up in Pitt to play a show and catch up almost annually.

Thanks, Adam. Sure am I glad I found you, man. Can't wait for the new stuff! Next time you are in Pittsburgh, ring me up.

No comments: