Thursday, July 18, 2013

First/Last-Rebecca Pronsky


"Rebecca Pronsky is a born and raised Brooklynite who plays twangy folk that is as “urban as it is rural, not afraid to be sophisticated” (Maverick). She’s a “poetic lyricist” (All Music Guide) who "addresses the struggles of a generation attempting to get by (NPR). Her live performances are "passionate and wry" (Time Out NY) and feature a collaboration with husband and lead guitarist Rich Bennett who "puts the trimmings on the music with a battery of echo drenched, twangy leads" (Blurt). Together they create a sound that has been described as “The Smiths relocated to Nashville” (Northern Sky). Only Daughter is Rebecca's newest album and is her third release on Austin's Nine Mile Records. Her most adventurous work yet, the album is gritty and noir-ish, layered and dreamy, bravely disobeying the usual conventions of the Americana genre."

Check Rebecca out at her official Website, Facebook, BandCamp, Twitter and Last.fm. She is touring behind her excellent new album, "Only Daughter" and hits Pittsburgh this Saturday with a good friend of the blog, Emily Rodgers. I want to thank Rebecca for taking a few minutes to participate in this edition of First/Last.



The first album you ever bought?
I'm pretty sure it was the 45 of Poison's "Your Mama Don't Dance." That, or Bon Jovi "New Jersey".

Your last album bought?
Sean Lennon "Alter Egos".

Favorite album of all time?
Joni Mitchell "Hejira." It's absolutely brilliant. I would say that  record is my biggest influence. Hearing it made me wanna start sayin' stuff.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Joni Mitchell "Shine." I don't want to get dark on my favorite musician, but I was so disappointed by this record. It had very little color or life to it.

First concert attended?
The Cranberries at Jones Beach. I was 15 and had never been to a large stadium show like that. It was exciting, but I was shocked by how tiny and far away they were.

Last concert?
I went to see Liam Singer and Monocle at Union Hall in Brooklyn last  weekend. They are two local acts who write great songs, and whose production is really inventive and interesting.

Favorite concert ever?
The Innocence Mission at Southpaw in Brooklyn. I think it was in 2006. The band still makes great records but they don't perform live anymore. I'm lucky I got to see them in one of their last shows.

Least favorite concert?
An open mic I once played in San Francisco. Everyone was trying so  hard to be clever and cutesy, it was sort of painful. And, unsurprisingly, the music was terrible.

Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
I really dig Pittsburgh. The first time I came to town, I was really surprised. I guess my impression of it, having never been there, was really off. It was so much bigger and so much prettier than I had imagined. Prefer to Philadelphia any day. Sorry, Philly.


Thanks, Rebecca. Those two words sure do go good together...sorry & Philly.

No comments: