Thursday, July 25, 2013

First/Last-Born Cages


"For Born Cages, freedom stands paramount. The New York-based alternative rock outfit thrives on creatively seeking that freedom, whether it's in the studio or on stage. There's no rulebook. There's no template. There's simply unhindered art in its purest form when Vlad Holiday [lead vocals/guitar], Amanda Carl [keyboards/backing vocals], Steve Kellner [bass guitar/backing vocals], and Dave Tantao [drums] converge. As a result of that shared boundless mentality, a delicate alchemy of raw guitars and shimmering electronics powers I'm Glad I'm Not Me, their forthcoming full-length debut for Razor & Tie. All boundaries and chains might just be broken in the process."

Check out the band at their official Website, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, SoundCloud and Tumblr. They are touring behind their latest release, "The Sidelines EP" and are stopping in Pittsburgh this Saturday at The Smiling Moose for the early show. I want to thank Vlad Holiday (Guitar/Vocals) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
My brother and I split this "Buy 40 CD's at once for a slightly discounted price" deal, and one of the stand out albums was The Strokes' “Is This It”. Before then, I was only into blues guitar music. That album definitely opened up my ears to other things.

Your last album bought?
It was probably my band's new EP. Hah!

Favorite album of all time?
I don't have a favorite album of all time. That answer takes more commitment than a tattoo. But what I've decided is to give a different answer every time I get asked...so The Killers' “Hot Fuss”.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Not to jump on the hate train, but probably all of Justin Bieber.

First concert attended?
Queens of the Stone Age at PNC Bank Arts Center in Jersey.

Last concert?
San Cisco at Bowery Ballroom. They're not bad.

Favorite concert ever?
My first time seeing Metric live. It was at Brooklyn's Prospect Park. That show blew me away and refined my vision of what I want to do with Born Cages.

Least favorite concert?
I'm very picky when it comes to seeing bands, but some of the crappiest/most detrimental performances I've ever seen have probably been at the Vans Warped Tour.


Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
I've been to Pittsburgh a couple of times, but haven't really hung out too much. It was more of a, "I like or hate Pittsburgh all depending on the weather that day" kind of thing, which is the case most of the time with touring. So if anyone wants to tell us where to drink, eat, or do some crazy things, message us on our Facebook!

Thanks, Vlad. Don't feel bad, that Bieber hate train is long and deservedly so.

No comments: