Thursday, July 4, 2013

First/Last-Motometer

"This duo features Frankenbass guitarist Adam Fagelson and drummer Stephen Dusenberry. Though Motometer is an entirely new project, Fagelson and Dusenberry are veterans of the music industry. Motometer results in a creative and dynamic sound that is completely their own."

Check out the Pittsburgh band on Facebook and also check them out this Saturday at the inaugural Deutschtown Music Festival around Midnight-ish at Peanutz. I want to thank Adam Fagelson (Bass/Vocals) and Stephen Dusenberry (Drums/Synths) for taking a few minutes to participate in this edition of First/Last.


The first album you ever bought?
Adam Fagelson: This is tough...I am pretty certain is was either The Ramones, Subterranean Jungle or an old SST compilation with Worm, Husker Du, Black Flag and a few others punk rock bands from the time.
Stephen Dusenberry: First album I bought was “Zebop” by Santana at Heads Together in Squirrel Hill in 1981. I was a year old and remember the song 'Winning' was my favorite song at the time. Years later, I met Carlos Santana and had him sign the exact record.


Your last album bought?
Adam: The last album I bought was King Orchid, “In Battle”. We played a show with them a bit ago and they were the balls!
Stephen: “State”, the newest album by Todd Rundgren.


Favorite album of all time?
Adam: So hard...there are many. I'd have to go with Cream, “Disraeli Gears” since it was what I cut my teeth on musically at an early age.
Stephen: Wow...I usually hate these types of questions since the answer changes rather frequently. However, at the top of my favorite albums list is usually “Trick Of The Tail” by Genesis. Without question, Phil Collins has long been one of my biggest influences as a drummer/songwriter. In my opinion, Phil's playing really shines on this album. I've always loved the way he makes odd-time signatures 'groove' and I feel he does it on this album better than any other Genesis album.


Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Adam: Ok...now bear with me. I am going to say ZZ Top, “Eliminator”. I know, I know that was ages ago BUT...ZZ Top (until that album - and arguably the album prior, “El Loco”) was a kick-ass power-trio. If you are unfamiliar with their early albums I highly recommend a listen. Most notably, “First Album” and “Tejas”.
Stephen: The latest N.E.R.D. album. I've always liked the production style of The Neptunes, however for some reason their latest album lacks a dynamic element in my opinion.


First concert attended?
Adam: The Moody Blues with my folks...I was 8.
Stephen: The Monkees, Civic Arena in 1986.


Last concert?
Adam: Yes with Procol Harum here in the ‘Burgh.
Stephen: Dave Matthews Band, First Niagara Pavilion in 2013.  I've been a fan of theirs since 1994 and have probably seen them over 50 times since then.


Favorite concert ever?
Adam: Another tough one...I am going with The Ramones in 1983.
Stephen: Hands down, Michael Jackson during the ‘BAD’ tour at the Civic Arena in 1987 when I was in the second grade. It was the opening night of a 3 night run there and I sat in the 10th row directly in front of former Steelers quarterback Bubby Brister.


Least favorite concert?
Adam: I saw the lead singer from Candlebox spit on my friend who at the time was running the stage monitors. Apparently he wasn't pleased with his mix...DICK!
Stephen: Probably going to get heckled for this but Van Halen at the Consol Center during their most recent tour. The sound was so terrible that I left, halfway through the show. It was physically painful how 'high' the 'highs' were going through the PA. I noticed other people leaving early as well.

Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Stephen: Probably the abundance of history still visible throughout the city. Many of the older houses around the North Side and East End are like living breathing time capsules.

Thanks, fellas. Closing out the fest at Peanutz, eh? Should be a great time.

No comments: