Thursday, May 30, 2013

First/Last-'The Essentials' Gospel Gossip


"Gospel Gossip are a beautiful mess of noise and emotion. The trio's loud, fragile pop songs have earwormed into discriminating listeners' psyches for years now. Following a three-year lag, Gospel Gossip return with their best work yet, a self-titled LP that references where they've been and where things are going. While the soaring guitars and insidious melodies remain, these songs peel back a layer of feedback to reveal a nod to classic pop songwriting previously buried on earlier records. The sad beauty true to Galaxie 500, Fleetwood Mac and Neil Young is on full tilt here. Gospel Gossip's new record finds them more mature, honest, and once more clutching great songs aimed at the heavens."

Check out the 'jangle-popgazers' at Facebook, BandCamp, Twitter and Tumblr. This band has been a favorite of mine since they blew me away at the New American Music Union Festival back in the Summer of 2008. They were the first band to play the 'College Stage' at 10 a.m. and I thought then and still think now they were the best. I have been following them ever since and even though my wish of a return trip to Pittsburgh hasn't materialized as of yet, they have been releasing great music, including their latest, "Gospel Gossip", this past March. I want to thank M. Oliver Moltaji (Drums/Guitar/Piano) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.


The first album you ever bought?
My first album was Oasis, “What's the Story Morning Glory?” back in 1995.

Your last album bought?
Tamaryn, “Tender New Signs”.

Favorite album of all time?
It's a toss-up between Velvet Underground 2nd Self-Titled and Eno, “Another Green World”.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Gospel Gossip, “Sing Into My Mouth”.

First concert attended?
I don't remember all too well, but it was either The Dismemberment Plan or Built To Spill at The Metro in Chicago.

Last concert?
Chris Cohen at 7th Street Entry in Minneapolis.

Favorite concert ever?
Seeing Ty Segall and Thee Oh Sees at Turf Club in St. Paul last year for sure!

Least favorite concert?
I wouldn't say it was absolutely terrible because I enjoyed myself and got a kick out of the show. But Jesus & Mary Chain were unbelievably terrible at First Ave last time they came through. Jim Reid was totally self-aware of it to and wouldn't hesitate to point it out. I'm sure over time I will think of it as my favorite concert ever.

Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
We haven't been through Pittsburgh since we played the American Eagle Festival well over five years ago. We had such a great time, and I remember thinking it was very eye-catching…reminded me of a bigger Minneapolis or Milwaukee.

Thank, Ollie. Five years IS way too long. Please come back and play. In fact, I wouldn't mind if you played "Sing Into My Mouth" all the way through! I love that album!

No comments: