Wednesday, May 29, 2013

First/Last-Criminal Hygiene


"CRMNL HYGNE was formed in 2011 over a couple of really good burgers at Olympian Family Restaurant in South Central Los Angeles. Eat lunch there and you might start a band too, its a fucking great establishment. They have Cherry Coke on tap and they are very generous with their Thousand Island dressing, which goes good with anything on the menu. A good vegetarian option is the Avocado Sandwich with fries, a Cherry Coke and a couple things of Thousand Island. Their most famous dish however is the 1/2 Chicken Plate. I had this once with my good friend Grady, we each ordered one to go and ate it on our porch. It was an amazing meal, one of the best ever had by anyone. We each had 2 things of Thousand Island and a Cherry Coke along with it. The description of the plate might sound kind of odd, but it's one of those things that makes sense once you experience it, like mini golf. The base is a nice romaine salad with tomatoes. Right on top is the chicken... one leg and one breast. To the side is a chunk of buttered garlic bread and behind that is a handful of fries. All this is served with a side of salsa and Thousand Island....mmmm. I've also heard amazing things about the various types of face-sized burgers... avocado, avocado w/bacon etc."

Check out the band at their official Website, Facebook and BandCamp.Their raucous debut self-titled came "CRMNL HYGNE LP" out earlier this year and I want to thank Michael Fiore (Lead Guitar/Vocals), James Pratley Watson (Bass/Vocals) and Sean Erickson (Drums) for taking a few to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
Michael Fiore: “In on the Kill Taker” by Fugazi.
James Pratley Watson: “’N SYNC” by ‘N SYNC.
Sean Erickson: I don't remember the first one I paid for, but my aunt gave me The Beastie Boys’ “Check Your Head” when I was really little then I got a Nirvana “In Utero” tape for my 8th birthday along with my first real BMX bike...both life changing presents.


Your last album bought?
Michael: “Light Up Gold” by Parquet Courts.
James: “Light Up Gold” by Parquet Courts.
Sean: I don't really have any money so I don't remember the last time I paid for an album. I know this sucks but some that've been on repeat lately are Fela Kuti's “Expensive Shit” and Gentleman, the Parquet Courts, and Meat Market albums and of course ZZ Top's “Deguello”.


Favorite album of all time?
Michael: “Ta Det Lugnt” by Dungen.
James: “You Forgot It In People” by Broken Social Scene.
Sean: I'm too indecisive to answer a question like that definitely but one that pops into my head is “The Soft Bulletin” from The Flaming Lips.


Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Michael: “Second Coming” by The Stone Roses is a huge letdown after their self-titled debut.
James: “Helplessness Blues” by Fleet Foxes.
Sean: Pretty much the second part of Metallica's career. They went from putting out some of the most rockin’ albums of all time to putting out some of the worst albums of all time.


First concert attended?
Michael: Yes at Jones Beach.
James: Dunno.
Sean: Warped Tour '96 in Tacoma...Sooooo sick!! Bad Religion, Fishbone, the X Members, NOFX, AND I got to see Remy Stratton and Steve Caballero skate the vert ramp.


Last concert?
Michael: Parquet Courts at SXSW.
James: Parquet Courts at Red7 in Austin (SXSW).
Sean: Parquet Courts or Ghostface at SXSW. I don't remember which was last, the whole week is kind of a blur.


Favorite concert ever?
Michael: The Flaming Lips live at Fox Theater in Pomona.
James: Black Lips at Music Box in LA.
Sean: Planet Booty...they're outta the bay area and if you EVER get a chance, you have to go see em!


Least favorite concert?
Michael: Tie between Foxygen at the Echoplex and The Abigails at the Echoplex. Both were awful and I walked out.
James: Dawes at The Mohawk (SXSW).
Sean: I used to go to this youth group thing when I was little cause they had rails and ramps to skate but after they let you skate they made you go into this church and listen to their bullshit and have shitty Jesus rock bands play to try to relate with the kids...those are probably the worst concerts I ever went to.


Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Michael: I'm a New York Islanders fan so I hate Pittsburgh.
James: None, good friend Ted is from there, says it’s an interesting place. One of my absolute favorite artists right now, BB, has a brother from there. he made a music video for him as he also plays music. You can find it on BB'swebsite video name: "Walking to the Store" by Bronze Float.
Sean: BLACKANDYELLOWBLACKANDYELLOWBLACKANDYELLOW. Besides that I actually don't know anything about Pittsburgh but I'd love to go sometime.

Thanks, fellas. Black and Yellow...yeah. To think my town is sometimes defined by those two colors is to me just...

No comments: