Wednesday, June 8, 2011

First/Last-Calum MacConnell of Man Your Horse

Thursday, June 9, 2011
Southside

Man Your Horse are a self described "experimental, math rock, afro-beat trio " hailing from up north in Vancouver, BC. They have just released a new EP called Shorts and are in the midst of a major North American tour to support it. They are super cool guys and roll through Pittsburgh tomorrow playing a their high energy set at the Moose for a no cover show.. Bassist Calum MacConnell was nice enough to participate in this midweek edition of First/Last.


First album ever bought?
I was eleven years old and bought Black Sunday (Cypress Hill). I remember my parents being very unamused with A to the K and Hits from the Bong.

Your last album bought?
I bought Night Moves (Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band) on vinyl for one Canadian dollar. I listen to the title track ad nauseum.

Favourite album of all time?
You, You’re a History in Rust (Do Make Say Think) or The Shivers (Slam Dunk). Both are Canadian bands – totally different genres, but each worth a serious listen.

 Least favourite / most disappointing album?
Most disappointing - Because of the Times (Kings of Leon). Really dug the dirty barbecue party vibe of the first two albums; certainly burnt a lot of perfectly good food while getting thoroughly refreshed and cranking Razz. I pined for that when listening to what is essentially a stadium rock album.

First concert attended?
The year was 1997, I lived in small town Ontario and travelled to Toronto to see Bush (called Bush X at the time in Canada due to name ownership issues). They played for 2 ½ hours while I drank cheap rum from a plastic bottle. Formative experience.

Last concert?
The last big ticket event I went to was for the Danish band Efterklang. Great songs and simply incredible vocals.

Favourite concert ever?
2005. Death from Above 1979 playing at Sugar Nightclub in Victoria, BC. They laid waste to the place. I was against the barrier in front of the small stage, getting my ribs crushed and screaming along. Most fun that has ever legally been had.

Least favourite concert?
About 4 years ago - The Mars Volta at Sasquatch music festival. I dig so much of their music, but Cedric (frontman) was throwing stuff into the crowd. And not things that are okay to throw at a group of people so tightly packed together that they can’t dodge incoming projectiles. . .like symbol stands and industrial sized fans that are still spinning. I love music, but pulling selfish rock star antics and disregarding the safety of your fellow humans is never going to be cool in my books.

Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Two words : Mario Lemieux
Another two words : Don Caballero


Thanks Calum. Man, that tour itinerary is massive! Good luck on the road and be safe my brother.

No comments: