Wednesday, March 11, 2015

First/Last-Jane West


"Jane is a songbird playing all over the Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania. With many years of music performance and study under her belt, Jane has developed an eclectic variety of tastes that range from jazz and blues to choral to classics, both psychedelic and funkadelic. She attributes all of these influences and more to the unique arrangements she concocts while singing and strumming her Fender. Over her young, yet accomplished career, Jane has enjoyed many opportunities to sing in a variety of genres including opera, classical, Broadway, funk, blues, choral, rock, folk, and even barbershop!"

Jane West is an independent musician, writing original works and performing live whenever possible. She currently plays in groups such as West Ben Power (piano and keyboard duo), West Holliday Trip (guitar and vocals duo), and The Grinning Mob (as guest back up vocalist). When she’s not on stage lighting up the local scene, Jane also teaches beginner guitar and voice lessons, and locally promotes live music. She has several local dates in March and I want to thank her for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.
 
The first album you ever bought?
The first album I ever bought on cassette tape was Michael Jackson “Bad”, or a Tiffany single. My very first compact disc was “The Beatles” (White Album).

Your last album bought?
I just purchased “Kiln House”, by Fleetwood Mac on vinyl and it is definitely my favorite FM album; post Peter Greene and pre Stevie Nicks. Cool stuff!

Favorite album of all time?
This changes so often, but I would have to say  Lou Reed “Transformer”, Bobbie Gentry “The Delta Sweete”, or the first album of “Crosby, Stills, and Nash”.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
“Lou Reed and Metallica”. I cannot even begin talking about that, yikes!!

First concert attended?
I was about 9 years old when Mom and Gramma took me to the concert series in the local park of Springfield, Ohio to see The Lettermen.

Last concert?
Trey Anastasio Band in November and they killed it. His horn section alone is what makes TBA really amazing.

Favorite concert ever?
Either Beck and The Flaming Lips (that was an experience I will not ever forget) or Zappa Plays Zappa. Watching Dweezil Zappa interact with his band and being such a gracious band leader really stuck with me; I love a musician who wants others to shine!

Least favorite concert?
Any concert where everyone sings every single word is my least favorite. I did not pay 75 clams to hear the big fat party animal scream off-key.

Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Pittsburgh will always hold a special place in my heart. I lived in the city for about five years and even though it was the lowest point of my life, I will never forget how many incredible people I have met. Pittsburgh is such a kind city, and people are always willing to help even if they do not know you. I occasionally play in the city now from time to time and visit as much as I can. I love that working class city, and will always consider myself a Pittsburgher!


Thanks, Jane. Man, the hate for that Loutallica record will never end. I could care less since I really don't listen to either of them. Maybe I should ckeck out 'Transformer'?

No comments: