Thursday, March 5, 2015

First/Last-Paper States


Paper States is an up and coming pop rock band from Pittsburgh who's debut EP "Be Alone" was released in 2012. As we expect new music from the band soon, join me in thanking vocalist Ryan Stack for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
Alanis Morissette “Jagged Little Pill” is the first album I can remember owning, but Brand New “Deja Entendu” sticks out as one of the first I bought myself.

Your last album bought?
Tom Waits “Small Change”.

Favorite album of all time?
Hardest question ever. I think my gut is saying Taking Back Sunday “Louder Now”.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Taking Back Sunday “New Again”, disappointing follow up to “Louder Now”.

First concert attended?
Backstreet Boys and Shaggy at the Post-Gazette Pavilion (Star Lake? First Niagara?).

Last concert?
Say Anything, Saves The Day, and Reggie & the Full Effect.

Favorite concert ever?
Third Eye Blind at the Palace Theater in Greensburg. They brought out a couch for a chill acoustic set halfway through the main set. Very fun memorable show. On the other hand, Taking Back Sunday is my favorite concert every time I see them.

Least favorite concert?
A few of my favorite bands were playing the Vans Warped Tour. I happened to have jury duty, and the case lasted all week until day of the show. I managed to make it there around 6 pm, but I missed all of the bands I wanted to see. Side-note: When they were selecting jurors, they asked me if there was any reason I couldn’t do it. I told them Warped Tour and they erupted into horrible, maniacal laughter.


Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
1. The Strip District Music festival this year was the coolest thing. We ought to have more cool things like that.
2. I love how Pittsburgh has a variety of great venues to play and watch people play at, in different areas of the city.
3. There’s a healthy competitiveness in the music community here. Artists doing great things, pushing other artists to be great. I dig that. When I started going to local shows in middle school, that’s the vibe I got from the bands I watched, and it inspired me to hone my skills and contribute.

Thanks, Ryan. Great jury duty excuse! They should have released you right then and there.

No comments: