Wednesday, December 18, 2013

First/Last-Secret Mountains


"You’ve got that neo-gothic Portishead vibe going on, laced with clear and delicate vocals, but then again, you’re so psychedelic. You’ve been reviewed by the NY Times but still remain totally obscure. You rock really hard but then you shoegaze away. You’re great, that’s all."

Check out the band at their official Website, Facebook and Twitter. The band is featured on the Paste 50 States Project reppin' Maryland. Their latest album is "Rainer" from February via Friends Records. I want to thank Jeffrey Lewis Silverstein (Guitar/Vocals) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.
 
The first album you ever bought?
A CD Single of Mase's 'Feel So Good'. It had the actual single as well as just the instrumental version as well. Sometimes I would put the instrumental version on repeat and just try to 'rap' over it. I was obsessed with the horn intro. Still such a good music video also. Other than that, I remember having the ‘Space Jam’ soundtrack really early on, as well as a Barenaked Ladies album that had 'One Week' on it and the Presidents of the United States of America album with 'Peaches'. Thankfully soon after that my brother showed me “License to Ill”.

Your last album bought?
I recently picked up the new Bars of Gold Record on Bellyache Records. Members of Bear Vs. Shark went on to form this band and it is just as raw and honest as all of the Bear Vs. Shark releases. They are from Detroit and just have such a well-rounded approach to songwriting. The lead singer Marc Paffi is one of the best frontmen I've ever seen and a fantastic lyricist.

Favorite album of all time?
“Akron/Family” (self-titled). This album and band entered my life at a really pivotal time for me and I'll forget the first time I heard tracks like 'Franny You're Human' and 'I'll Be on the Water'. It was also produced by one of my favorite musicians, Michael Gira from Swans.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
I just don't get Radiohead.

First concert attended?
The first local show I ever went to was a Ska band called Face First from Rockaway, NJ. My parents came inside first to make sure things were cool and then let me have at. I bought a t-shirt that I would wear at least twice a week for a long time. The first 'real' show I went to was Weezer with Saves the Day.

Last concert?
Went and saw my friends Quilt play with Happy Jawbone Family Band at Baby's All Right in Brooklyn.

Least favorite concert?
Father John Misty at GoogaMooga Festival. I normally love the dude but either his banter is on point and hilarious or you just really want him to shut up. It was the latter that evening. The rain wasn't helping.


Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
The first time Secret Mountains ever played in Pittsburgh it was at a punk house that I wish I could remember the name of. Everyone that lived there was total sweethearts and it was the last night of a very hit or miss tour. We would up playing with a band called Dangerous Ponies from Philadelphia who we all bonded with immediately. There was a night on that tour where we played to the sound guy, he might have gone upstairs at one point so playing a packed basement show and meeting a band that we would remain close friends with for years is always something I associate with Pittsburgh.

Thanks, Jeffrey. Awesome call on Akron/Family. Love everything those guys do.

No comments: