Monday, September 2, 2013

First/Last-Quilt

"It’s not uncommon to form a band while in college, and that is exactly what Quilt did. Its primary members, Shane Butler and Anna Fox Rochinski (as well as Taylor Mcvay—who plays on much of the record, but has since left the band amicably) were all visual art students at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, but bonded over their mutual love of weird, experimental jams and classic pop harmonies. John Andrews joined the band as drummer after opening for every Quilt show on tour in 2009. Butler grew up in a “spiritual community with a lot of musical chanting” and Rochinski was “doing classical singing in choirs that had a lot of crazy harmonies. There’s a lot of repetitive, almost mantra stuff in our songs,” she adds. Quilt is a band with strong roots that formed at the apex of the point in your life when you’re thinking about your own art and what it all means. Then you grow up. You get married, you get a real job, life gets in the way of your art. But the support structure of the band is strong, and they powered through. This self-titled debut full length is the result."

Check out the band on Facebook, BandCamp, Twitter and Tumblr. Today I hit Massachusetts with Quilt for my continuing coverage of the Paste 50 States Project. The band's latest self-titled album is out on Mexican Records. I want to thank John Andrews (Drums) for taking the time participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
I think it was the “Yellow Submarine”, but I’m not sure. That was a long time ago. Sometimes I forget what i had for breakfast in the morning.

Your last album bought?
Geoff and Maria Muldaur “Sweet Potatoes”. I got it from BOHO record gallery in Lancaster, PA. The title track is a pretty magical tune.

Favorite album of all time?
Pretty hard question for anyone to answer, but I would say “The Maureeny Wishful Album”. It was Jimmy Page's folk band in '68. Everyone should know it, but no one does.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
If I don’t like them, I turn ‘em off!!!!

First concert attended?
Hanson. 1998. My chakra exploded.

Last concert?
I saw Black Sabbath play 2 days ago, and I coincidentally had seats next to one of my friends that i didn't even know was going to the concert. I also tailgated for the first time and had a jello shot.

Favorite concert ever?
Michael Hurley played in an old barn in Lancaster, PA. We all sat on bales of hay and there were Amish girls there.

Least favorite concert?
I usually sneak outta them if I don't like ‘em.

Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Go Penguins!!!!!!

Thanks, John. Nice call on the "The Maureeny Wishful Album". I can totally hear some influence from that and your band.

No comments: