Monday, September 30, 2013

First/Last-Heavy Hearts Will Anchor


"In 2007 I was diagnosed with General Anxiety Disorder and Depression. I was transitioning into college life and not really handling that transition very well. Also at this time my first true long-term relationship had ended and I was left feeling very empty and sad. In my free time I would play guitar and try and write songs but without having the intent to share them with anyone.
In 2009 while still learning how to cope with depression and anxiety one of my best friends tragically passed away. It was the most difficult period of my entire life. I didn't pick up my guitar for a long time after that.
After many months of coming to terms with my friend no longer being with me as well as a few failed relationships I finally began to start picking up my guitar and found it very therapeutic to write about all the sad and more difficult things in life. I came up with the title for this music project, Heavy Hearts Will Anchor, with the notion that the songs I write would be a way for me to deal with my depression and that by singing about them it would help me come to terms with them and help my heart to maybe not be so heavy.
I recorded my first (and only) EP in 2010 with the help of a college friend and my Audio Production Class's studio. The EP was a concept album about a man dealing with the loss of a friend, his struggle with his faith, and his ultimate decision to go out to sea and leave all his loved ones behind.
Since then I've continued writing songs about a myriad of topics around relationships, depression, religion, friends, death, and most recently my first and only love song. This year I have began doing recording sessions with my dear friend and fellow musician Ryan Walker and will probably continue to release those recordings through my bandcamp as I write them.
Although Heavy Hearts Will Anchor is never gonna have a record deal or be my main source of income I think I'll always continue to write music as long as I can still sing and hold a guitar."

Check out the band on Facebook, Tumblr, ReverbNation, SoundCloud and BandCamp. HHWA is the moniker for songwriter Christian Freeberg. He is originally from Indiana, PA but now resides in Lawrenceville and is quietly putting out some beautifully understated music. His latest single, 'Little Sticks' was released a few weeks ago and I really want to thank Christian for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
Backstreet Boys (self-titled from 1997...sigh).

Your last album bought?
“Moving Mountains” (self-titled and my AOTY for 2013).

Favorite album of all time?
Way too hard to pick one but if I had to, it would have to be a Thrice album and that would probably be “Vheissu”.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Not sure really but I think there are is a lot of harmful music out there in the mainstream.

First concert attended?
My first show was at a local Chevy Chase Community Center in my hometown of Indiana, PA and all I remember was a Pittsburgh punk band called The Last Hope played last, my brother got knocked out briefly, and it was the first time I had ever moshed or saw a circle pit. I was in love.

Last concert?
I recently just saw Sigur Ros at Stage AE and they were amazing.

Favorite concert ever?
Thrice/La Dispute/O' Brother/Moving Mountains at the Rex Theatre in 2011. The last time I would ever see Thrice live. It was an amazing concert and afterwards the singer Dustin Kensrue played an acoustic set on the basketball court outside by the venue and stayed to talk to any of the kids that came to see him do his acoustic set. It was one of the most amazing nights of my life. Not many people get to personally meet and thank their hero for everything they have done.

Least favorite concert?
Any concert I've been to where the band clearly were taking themselves too seriously. Not trying to put anyone on blast, but there are definitely some bands that just need to play their instruments and not worry about people adding them on twitter.

Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
The local music scene and the musicians I've met through it and the friendships that bloomed from it. In particular my friends in Run Forever, Dandelion Snow, Crash City, Guests of Guests, Ryan Walker, Nevada Mountains, William James (slam poet), and lots more.


Thanks, Christian. I love your last bio line, man. Making music for the love of it and not the record deal. That's what it's all about.

No comments: