Tuesday, June 25, 2013

First/Last-The Composure


"The intersection of persistence, perseverance and pure talent is only the starting point for bands emerging in the digital age. For THE COMPOSURE, this mix has fueled a nonstop thrust of power-pop energy from Pittsburgh to the world; a journey that continues for the band on March 13, 2012 with the release of their aptly named EP: STAY THE COURSE.  Assembled in 2007 by singer/guitarist Paul Menotiades and drummer Cory Muro, THE COMPOSURE has taken a simple foundation of sweet pop-punk, and built layers of infectious rhythm soaked in Menotiades’ sugary melody. Rounded out with slick harmonies from guitarist Seth Milly and the snapping pulse of bassist Johnny Grushecky, the band’s signature blend feels comfortably familiar yet refreshingly new."

Check out the band at their official Website, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube. They have a new 6-song release called "Singled Out" which had the band covering '90's alternative tunes by such bands as Goo-Goo Dolls, Blind Melon and Sublime. They are having a 'dual release show' this Friday at Altar Bar with friends Blue of Colors. I want to thank Paul Menotiades (Guitar/Vocals) for taking a few to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
I think the first album that I ever had was “Blood Sugar Sex Magik” by the Red Hot Chili Peppers..but only because I stole it from my brother. The first album I ever bought was Dead Milkmen's “Beelzebubba”.

Your last album bought?
I found the “Chixdiggit!” album at The Exchange for $2.50, what a steal!

Favorite album of all time?
Oh, man…what a tough question. Probably “So Long, Thanks for All the Shoes” by NOFX or “Punk in Drublic”.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
I always loved Homegrown, but the last EP that they released was a disappointment. I think it was a pretty bad recording and too much of a departure from what they've been. It seemed like they were trying to play off of the fad of that time in terms of lyrics.

First concert attended?
My brother took me to see Phish when I was 10, which is ridiculous, but it was awesome. I'm pretty sure the next show I went to after that was The Queers.

Last concert?
Green Day at Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh.

Favorite concert ever?
One of the late 90's Warped Tours, if that counts.

Least favorite concert?
I don't know about worst, but one of the most boring shows I've ever been to was a Copeland show a few years ago.

Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Pittsburgh is an amazing city if you know where you're going and how to get there in all senses of the phrase. Of course, there are good and bad things about every city but I am proud to call Pittsburgh home.


Thanks, Paul. Ten years old at a Phish gig? I am sure you were all, "What's that smell?"

No comments: