Friday, June 19, 2015

First/Last-Wings For Armor


"Wings for Armor’s emotion fueled lyrics accompanied by intense, heartfelt musical arrangements and crashing percussion characterize the sonic experience that drummer Christy and singer/guitarist Murph strive to create during their energetic live shows. Whether its themes such as anger and depression or those of alienation and transcendence, the subjects explored on Wings For Armor’s debut self-released 14 track album, "Chasing And Being Chased" create what many in their fan base have defined as ‘a soundtrack for real life’ due to the way the stripped-down revelations encompassed in their brand of experimental rock reveal the universals of the human experience."

Wings For Armor is a Pittsburgh based alt-rock duo who just released their debut album "Chasing and Being Chased". You will here a good chunk of it this Sunday (6/21) at the Hard Rock Cafe as the band opens for Framing Hanley's last show ever! I want to thank Murph McCullock (Guitar/Bass/Synths/Piano/Vocals) and Christy Pastva (Drums/Percussion) for taking the time t participate in this edition of First/Last.



The first album you ever bought?
Murph McCullock: Alanis Morrisette “Jagged Little Pill”.
Christy Pastva: First album I ever bought with my own money was Evil Empire by Rage
Against the Machine. The first album I ever asked for was a Boys To Men album I got on cassette when I was 7.

Your last album bought?
Murph: Dead Sara “Pleasure To Meet You”.
Christy: “Rebel Heart” by Madonna. I wouldn't recommend it unless you are a diehard Madonna fan like I am.

Favorite album of all time?
Murph: Chicago “Greatest Hits”.
Christy: “Ray of Light” by Madonna. She won her first Grammy with this album, and there is a reason. It's awesome! Not one sleeper song on the whole thing. Teaming up with William Orbit proved to be a good move. Too bad she didn't stick with him on the albums that would follow.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Murph: Linkin Park “The Hunting Party”.
Christy: “MDNA” by once again, Madonna. There's only one decent song on the entire album. The rest should be locked away in a vault to never be heard again, along with Nicki Minaj.

First concert attended?
Murph: I think it was LeAnn Rimes and Bryan White.
Christy: An Alanis Morissette concert back in 1996. Radiohead was the opening act. I don't remember much, other than my Dad complaining about the "horrible" music that we were enjoying.

Last concert?
Murph: Michelle Chamuel.
Christy: One Republic. American Authors opened the show. Both bands we're really good live.

Favorite concert ever?
Murph: Sheryl Crow at the Canfield County Fair.
Christy: Madonna's ‘Confessions’ tour. She really does put on the best show you will ever see. How can you not like a show that starts with a giant disco ball being dropped from the ceiling, and Madonna pops out?

Least favorite concert?
Murph: Staind and P.O.D.
Christy: Madonna's  ‘MDNA’ tour in Philadelphia. My $120 ticket ended up being way up high, with a rear/side view. I was literally behind the stage and could barely see anything. I did however, get to see all of the costume changes, and backstage operations. There's definitely a lot of nudity going on back there! I ended up buying another ticket for her Pittsburgh show, so that I could actually see the concert from a more presentable angle.


Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Murph: Pittsburgh is a great little big  city. I moved here in 2007 from my hometown of Newville, PA (near Carlisle) because I was looking for a place that had culture, music, art, and history.  Pittsburgh has all the amazing things you want from a big city like incredible food, diversity, and global music events but also has characteristics of a small town with diners, dive bars, and even wildlife and parks. I've always been very inspired by this city, enough to
incorporate the cityscape into a lot of Wings For Armor's logos, t-shirt designs, stickers, and album art!
Christy: What can I say about Pittsburgh? It's my hometown. Born, raised, and haven't left! Even though I have lived here forever, there are so many places I have never been to and probably should eventually. Other places, I'd rather forget. It's a great city with views no other city can compare to. The food will kill you, but it sure is delicious! Most of the folks I have met are pretty cool, but there's always going to be some assholes, but that's everywhere you go. I love my city and wouldn't have it any other way.

Thanks, gals. I have to say, that is a whole lot of Madonna in your answers, Christy! That's why I love these Q&A's. You get to know a lot about a musician through their answers.

No comments: