Tuesday, April 30, 2013

First/Last-Young Brokaw

Tuesday, April 30, 2013
Larryville

"YOUNG BROKAW started playing in the fall of 2010. The band is comprised of Matt Dull (Part Man, West Hollywood Cheerleaders) on vocals and guitar, Chris Herd on bass, and David Halloran (Shade, The Seeing Eyeballs) on drums."

Check out the Pittsburgh trio on Facebook, Twitter, ReverbNation and BandCamp. The band has been laying low but pop out of hibernation to support Twin Tigers at Brillo tonight along with Imperial Railway. I want to thank David Halloran (Drums) and Matt Dull (Vocals/Guitar) for taking a few minutes to participate in this edition of First/Last.




The first album you ever bought?
Dave Halloran: My first tapes were Whitesnake’s “Whitesnake” and Quiet Riot’s “Metal Health” which I did buy with "my own money" but I was just a little kid.  I really don't remember though after that I have been buying music most of my life.
Matt Dull: My first tapes were Van Halen’s “Van Halen” & Bon Jovi’s “7800 Degrees Fahrenheit”. I bought them, and a Walkman, with birthday money. I think I was in 3rd grade. Shortly after, I bought a tape of Beastie Boys’ “Licensed To Ill”.


Your last album bought?
Dave: “Chess Blues Classics 1957-67”.
Matt: The Walkmen, “Heaven”.



Favorite album of all time?
Dave: That is a tough one. The Rolling Stones’ “Exile on Main St.”, The Beatles’ “Revolver”, Bob Dylan’s “Freewheeling”, David Bowie’s “Hunky Dory”.
Matt: I agree with Dave, a tough one. The Beatles’ “Sgt. Pepper's”, The Misfits’ “Walk Among Us”, The Descendants’ “Liveage”, The Walkmen’s “You & Me”.


Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Dave: Nirvana’s “Bleach” comes to mind. I was a huge Nirvana fan and even though this came out before their other ones, it is the last album of their’s I heard/bought and I just did not like it at all, still don't. People talked it up like it was a classic though and still do, I don't agree. Mediocre album from an awesome band in my opinion.
Matt: Interpol’s “Interpol”. This fourth release by a great band was such a disappointment. If was supposed to be a comeback album or something, but I don't think they went anywhere bad that they needed to come back from.


First concert attended?
Dave: Oasis, Metropol, 1994. I may have been to ones before but I think that is the first large concert I went to as a teenager.
Matt: Van Halen on their ‘OU812 Tour’ at the Greensboro Coliseum in North Carolina.


Last concert?
Dave: I have been to many local shows since but the last larger concert was Band of Horses/My Morning Jacket, Stage AE, 2012.
Matt: I think the last large concert I went to was Bonnaroo two years ago. The Walkmen, The  Strokes and Donald Glover were phenomenal.


Favorite concert ever?
Dave: Primal Scream, 9:30 Club, Washington DC, 2000.
Matt: My favorite concert ever for a long time was Sonic Youth at the Pittsburgh Arts Festival, but The Walkmen at Mr. Small’s on their ‘You & Me Tour’ was so special and rad. Also, Bad Religion at The Empire in Cleveland on their ‘Generator Tour’ blew my mind. One chord into the first song, the crowd erupted and I was pulled into the pit and felt the power of a loved band.


Least favorite concert?
Dave: The Black Keys, Pittsburgh Arts Festival. I have been to many worse concerts but this was the most disappointing.
Matt: Wilco at the Pittsburgh Arts Festival was my least favorite concert. I did not care for it.

Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Dave: I have been to a lot of places and Pittsburgh is still my favorite city. It has everything an American city can offer but you can still be fully immersed in nature in a half hour drive. There is always great music and art here.
Matt: I was born in Pittsburgh. Matt Jennings and I used to make guitars out of shoeboxes and assign them to made-up bands. Both of us fell in love with music in this city and have moved around a bunch but still continue to write and perform music. I am glad to be doing it back here in Pittsburgh. I've made a lot of good friends here by jamming and starting bands and just hanging out with bands. This is maybe the best city I've ever lived in where you can drive around and listen to music and just experience the sights. I am proud to have met the love of my life in Pittsburgh in that our son was born here. We hope to have many more awesome memories in the city together. I look forward to more great memories with great friends and bandmates.


Thanks, fellas. Glad to see you are slowly back playing gigs. Really looking forward to some new music soon!

No comments: