Friday, February 22, 2013

First/Last-Murder By Death

Sunday, February 24, 2013
Millvale

"On the surface, Murder By Death is a Bloomington, IN quintet with a wry, ominous name. But behind the geography and moniker is a band of meticulous and literary songwriters matched by a specific brand of brooding, anthem-riding balladry and orchestral indie rock.
Murder By Death’s path began in the early 2000s as most Midwestern college-town groups do, by playing to small crowds at ratty venues and frenzied house parties. While many of their formative-year scene-mates failed to make it much further than campustown’s borders, Murder By Death translated their anonymous beginnings into a 10+ year career founded on a bedrock of five full-length albums, tireless D.I.Y. touring and performing ethics, and, most importantly, a dedicated, cult-like fanbase."

Check out the band at it's official Website, Facebook, MySpace and Twitter. They hit Pittsburgh on Sunday at Smalls touring behind their latest Bloodshot Records release, "Bitter Drink, Bitter Moon", on a bill co-headlining with Man Man and special guests Damion Suomi. My thanks to band's rhythm section Matt Armstrong (Bass) and Dagan Thogerson (Drums) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
Matt Armstrong: I was way into tapes when I was a kid and I don't remember what my first tape was, but I know that when I got a CD player the first three albums I bought were Nine Inch Nails, “Pretty Hate Machine”, Faith No More, “Introduce Yourself”, and Suicidal Tendencies, “The Art Of Rebellion”.
Dagan Thogerson: George Michael, "Faith".

Your last album bought?
Matt & Dagan: Future Of The Left, “The Plot Against Common Sense”.

Favorite album of all time?
Matt: The Cure, “Disintegration”.
Dagan: Failure, "Fantastic Planet".

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Matt: The Cure, “4:13 Dream”. First song is great, but the rest was meh.
Dagan: Queens of the Stone Age, "Era Vulgaris".

First concert attended?
Matt: ZZ Top and Jackyl in Dallas in 199?.
Dagan: Lollapalooza,1996, baby!

Last concert?
Matt: Swans at La Zona Rosa, Austin, TX.
Dagan: Johnny Madcap and the Distractions. It ruled.

Favorite concert ever?
Matt: There have been many. Swans. The final Shiner reunion show. Every time I have seen Mogwai.
Dagan: Tool at Wings Stadium in Kalamazoo Michigan in 1997. Fuck yeah.

Least favorite concert?
Matt: The one I played when I had severe food poisoning and was just praying to make it through without "incident".
Dagan: Dude, too many to talk about.

Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Matt: I like Pittsburgh. We have some great friends there. A kegerator and a gigantic pizza come to mind.
Dagan: I bought my hardware case there via Craigslist. It's also very pretty to drive there, coming out of the mountain tunnel and seeing the river is totally awesome.

Thanks, fellas. Got a somewhat dark vibe going with this record. I love dark!

No comments: