Monday, February 18, 2013

First/Last-The Delta Saints


"The Delta Saints are not what they say they are. Delta? Absolutely. But saints? One might call them “cautionary tales” long before the term “saints” ever came to mind; however, there is something devout about their bayou rock, a dirty, distinct sound they’ve zealously refined on their debut full-length, Death Letter Jubilee. Alternating between raucous melodies and slow-burning odes to the devil in his many forms, Ben Ringel (vocals/dobro), Dylan Fitch (guitar), David Supica (bass), and Ben Azzi (drums) explore themes of difficult love, the wanderer’s high road, and the moral low road using their unconscious fascination with the classical elements – earth, air, fire, and water – as a natural vehicle for their briny narratives.
With Death Letter Jubilee, The Delta Saints are blooming into life not as a pretty flower might, but perhaps a mushroom explosion from an atomic bomb or a feral thunderhead. After two self-released and well received EPs, Pray On and A Bird Called Angola, fans demanded a full length and happily burst through the band’s Kickstarter goal to get it. “That is a feeling like no other,” Ben Ringel claims. “It’s awesome and also humbling. And it’s good pressure on us to succeed. It’s the kind of pressure we were able to harness and strive off of.”

Check out the band at their official Website, Facebook, BandCamp, Twitter, Tumblr, and MySpace. The band recently released it's debut full-length, "Death Letter Jubilee". My thanks to Ben Ringel (Vocals/Dobro) for taking a few to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
The first album that I personally every bought was actually a cassette tape, and it was Kansas, “Greatest Hits”. To this day, I’m not sure how I decided on that one. There was never a Kansas record playing in our house, and my parents didn’t really listen to them. I guess it could have been the cover. A Poseidon looking fella in a suit was doing something with a ship. Kids…

Your last album bought?
I bought Allen Stone’s self-titled record, and the Del McCoury Band’s “Del and the Boys”. Both records are great. I literally can’t say enough about Allen Stone. He and his band are unbelievable, and the record is no different. He’s the kind of artist that gives you some faith in music. And Del McCoury is just a bluegrass powerhouse. I recommend both.

Favorite album of all time?
What I would like to know is if anyone who has ever answered this question hasn’t at least in their head recanted their answer right after they gave it.  I honestly don’t know if I can narrow it down to my favorite record of all time. A record that I could listen to everyday for the rest of my life is “Sticky Fingers” by The Rolling Stones. The songs and sounds of this record are damn near perfect.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Can I say Miley Cyrus’ entire discography?

First concert attended?
Dave Matthews Band at The Gorge in 2002.

Last concert?
The Del McCoury Band and Keller Williams at Marathon Music Works (Nashville) on New Years of this year.

Favorite concert ever?
I saw Ray Lamontagne at The Ryman a few years ago. His songs, in a place like that was heart-breaking.

Least favorite concert?
The Rolling Stones in Seattle, circa 2005. Not because it was anything short of spectacular, but because I had to leave early, and reached the car just as they started in on Brown Sugar. Hearing that echo through the streets, and not being able to see it live was a pretty low moment.

Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Pittsburgh has always been a special place to me. My grandfather is from Freedom, which is a little bit north of Pittsburgh. As a kid I came up and visited some, and loved the time I got to spend there. I grew up a Penguins and Steelers fan. It’s a great place, and I’m stoked to get back up that way, and get to experience more of it.

Thanks, Ben. Love the album and looking forward to a future Pittsburgh stop on the tour.

No comments: