Friday, January 4, 2013

First/Last-Chalk Dinosaur


"My name is John O'Hallaron. Chalk Dinosaur is the artist name I use to release my music. I began writing and recording songs during the summer of 2007. I am influenced by long and evolving songs, powerful drum and bass, huge cosmic sounding music, surf rock and other strong-vibed coastal music. My two most recent albums, "Follow Me" (2011) and "Sediment" (2012), are my proudest achievements."

You can check out Pittsburgh's own Chalk Dinosaur on BandCamp, Facebook, MySpace and the massive John O'Hallaron Archives. My thanks to John for taking a few minutes to participate in this edition of First/Last.


The first album you ever bought?
Can't remember exactly, but it was either Cake's “Pressure Chief”, or Weezer's “Pinkerton”.

Your last album bought?
Arthur Lyman's “Hawaiian Sunset”.

Favorite album of all time?
I don't know about all time, but my recent favorite has been the album “White Pepper” by WEEN.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
The new Cake album.

First concert attended?
Of my own free will, I think it was a band called The Stills.

Last concert?
Deadmau5 on New Years in Niagara Falls.

Favorite concert ever?
My Morning Jacket at Bonnaroo 2010.

Least favorite concert?
Not sure, I guess it wasn't worth remembering :P

Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
I love being from Pittsburgh and representing my city wherever I go. I appreciate it more and more the more I travel. I love all the different neighborhoods that make up the greater Pittsburgh area. Oakland, Southside, Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, Lawrenceville. They all have their own unique character. Not to mention I love the suburbs north of Pittsburgh where I live! If I could make my living producing music here in Pittsburgh that would be a dream come true.

Thanks, John. Here's hoping that dream comes true, buddy!

No comments: