Monday, September 17, 2012

First/Last-Water Liars

Monday, September 17, 2012
Bloomfield

"Perhaps one of the greatest albums in Misra’s canon, Water Liars’ debut was entirely unplanned. Recorded on a whim, with one microphone, the then unnamed rock band – consisting of St. Louis, MO songwriter, vocalist, guitarist Justin Kinkel-Schuster and Oxford, MS drummer, producer, multi-instrumentalist Andrew Bryant – casually convened to play and record.
Over the course of three days, in the small milltown of Pittsboro, MS, a series of ineffable and magical recordings came together. It was one of those seemingly providential experiences – far too remarkable to be denied. Phantom Limb was born."

The band performs tonight at Howler's along with Emily Rodgers Band and Ursa Major in support of their debut album, "Phantom Limbs" via Misra Records. My thanks to Pete for taking a few to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
Green Day, "Dookie". Bought the tape, listened to it every day after school ‘til I had to do that tape rewind trick with a pencil.

Your last album bought?
Kris Kristofferson, "Silver Tongued Devil and I". Finally tracked down the vinyl.

Favorite album of all time?
Alternates every day. Come to the show and I'll be happy to give you the most up to date information.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Tough questions. Recently, I remember being pretty disappointed by the A$AP Rocky remix album that came out a few months ago. All they did was slow every track wayyyyyyyyyy down.

First concert attended?
Pretty sure it was the Deftones, circa "White Pony" in Little Rock, AR.

Last concert?
The Mynabirds, St. Louis, MO.

Favorite concert ever?
TIE between Tom Waits and Magnolia Electric Co., but Magnolia wins ‘cuz Tom Waits charged me a hundred goddamn dollars for a nosebleed seat. St. Louis, MO. last show of the "Josephine" tour, which I think was the last show before Jason Molina sorta went off the map. Man I hope he gets well soon.

Least favorite concert?
Too many to count.

Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
My Pittsburgh experience has been limited so far, I've only played there once at the Garfield Artworks(?) and it seemed alright. It's a little hazy though. I remember having a hell of a time trying to get out of town through the morning traffic. Anyway, we've got nowhere to go but up!


Thanks, Pete. My thoughts exactly on Jason Molina. My sincerest of well wishes, along with many, many others, are with him.

No comments: