Wednesday, September 12, 2012

First/Last-Lullaby Engine

Band logo courtesy of Jordan Beckham and Rexa Rae

Friday, September 14, 2012
Aliquippa

"Lullaby Engine formed its current lineup in 2012. Bassist Jonathan Bagamery, after a two year stint with longtime Pittsburgh punks Liverball, culled a backlog of original riffs and pop song structures dating to his days with Western Pennsylvania group Paris Green. In lyricist and lead vocalist Rexa Rae, he saw the chance to unearth unrecorded gems while integrating a high powered vocal, a talent new to the scene.
The blending of the old chemistry with new ingredients, namely Rexa's smoky vocal and sultry lyricism layered over novel rock frameworks, mixes an irresistible potion, stirring avid dreams in even the most disaffected listener."

The band takes part in a showcase featuring female fronted rock bands this Friday at The Fallout Shelter along with The Awful Waffles and Wings of Armor. My thanks to Bill Merante (Drums), Jonathan Bagamery (Bass), Rexa Rae (Vocals), and Stephen McMillen (Guitar) for taking a few to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
Bill: John Lennon, “Imagine”.
Jonathan: The Beatles, “Rubber Soul”.
Rexa: N'sync? Maybe . . . .
Stephen: U2, “Boy”.

Your last album bought?
Bill: Field Music, “Plumb”.
Jonathan: Huntress, “Spell Eater”.
Rexa: Well, I usually just download my music. I think the last group of songs were from Eli Young Band. Surprisingly, I love country music.
Stephen: Generation X, “Perfect Hits”.

Favorite album of all time?
Bill: British Sea Power, “Do You Like Rock Music?”.
Jonathan: Crystal Castles, “Crystal Castles II”. But I tend to prefer listening to singles.
Rexa: I would name one, but it wouldn't be honest because I love a good amount of different types of music.
Stephen: Big Country, “The Crossing”; The Police, “Regatta de Blanc”; Radiohead, “OK Computer”; The Beatles, “Rubber Soul”; Led Zeppelin, “Physical Graffiti”.  No music fan, especially a musician, should have to pick a favorite.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Bill: Radiohead, “King of Limbs”.
Jonathan: I once bought a Bjork cassette that I hated so much that I took it back to the store and demanded my money back.
Rexa: My friend and I picked up an album to blare a few weeks ago while we were cleaning out the car. She convinced me that the sound track to Coyote Ugly was the best choice. It wasn't.
Stephen: I am sure that I have long forgotten whatever unmemorable record that was.

First concert attended?
Bill: ‘Beatlemania’.
Jonathan: R.E.M., 10,000 Maniacs. Pittsburgh Civic Arena, 1987.
Rexa: I think it was Britney Spears.
Stephen: The Firm, ‘Radio Active’ Tour.  May 5th, 1985.  The Civic Arena, Pittsburgh, PA.  It was my birthday, and I was very excited to see Jimmy Page.

Last concert?
Bill: The Shins.
Jonathan: Rasputina, Mr. Smalls Theatre. Pittsburgh, 2011.
Rexa: Toby Keith, but I just wanted to see Brantley Gilbert open for him, ha ha.
Stephen: U2, 360 Tour.  July 26th, 2011.  Heinz Stadium, Pittsburgh, PA.
Interpol opened.

Favorite concert ever?
Bill: Radiohead.
Jonathan: The first Lollapalooza tour. I saw it twice, Cleveland and Fairfax, VA. 1991.
Rexa: Jason Alden!
Stephen: U2, ‘The Joshua Tree’ Tour. October 13th, 1987. Three Rivers Stadium, Pittsburgh, PA.

Least favorite concert?
Bill: Modest Mouse.
Jonathan: I can’t remember. But I do remember Steve being sick at the Love & Rockets show, as mentioned below.
Rexa: Probably one of the hundreds of concerts with kids screaming the whole time. LOL.
Stephen: Just like the "least favorite album" question: I have attended so many shows there wouldn't have been a reason to remember what I didn't like.  Not my least favorite, but I do remember feeling ill in the midst of Love and Rockets, Mighty Lemon Drops and Bubblemen on April 26th, 1988, at The Syria Mosque, Pittsburgh, PA.

Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Bill: Fine dining, excellent sports franchises, angry yinzers lurking round every corner.
Jonathan: I like roaming the streets early in the morning. I like the little family owned businesses. I like buying records and going to shows.
Rexa: I have had SO many amazing opportunities and experiences in Pittsburgh. I wouldn't be the person I am today if I lived somewhere else. This place has so many things to offer.
Stephen: I moved to North Carolina for a few years. I wanted to be close to Chapel Hill and the whole Merge Records/Superchunk scene. I missed the culture of Pittsburgh, and I had to return to where all my friends are.


Thanks, guys. Girls rockin' out? Sounds like a really fun night!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i like the way to structured your blog and the discussion as well

www.joeydavila.net