Wednesday, September 26, 2012

First/Last-Satin Gum

 
"Satin Gum is an American power pop/alternative rock band from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania consisting of songwriter Brian Spekis (Vocals, Guitar), Jonathan Gunnell (Guitar, Backing Vocals), Travis Craig (Bass), and Dan Vavro (Drums, Backing Vocals).
Since their inception, Satin Gum has shared the stage with prominent musical artists such as Jesse Malin, Frightened Rabbit, Smith Westerns, We Are Scientists, Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin, Cymbals Eat Guitars, Bear Hands, and French Kicks. The Gum's songs have been placed in major television shows such as The Good Wife on CBS.
No strangers to a delectable chow, the band members are often seen in their downtime enjoying a sandwich known as the “Leroy Brown”, a half-pound of Angus topped off with homemade BBQ sauce, sugar-glazed peppercorn bacon, and cheddar cheese. "

Satin Gum is one of my absolute favorite local bands who have released it's second full-length, entitled appropriately enough, "LP2", just yesterday. My thanks to frontman Brian Spekis for taking time away from stuffing his hole to participate in this edition of First/Last.


The first album you ever bought?
Nirvana, “Nevermind”. I just HAD to learn to play guitar as soon as I heard it.

Your last album bought?
The J. Geils Band, “Nightmares... And Other Tales From The Vinyl Jungle”. The song ‘Givin' It All Up’ is my jam.

Favorite album of all time?
Weird Paul, “Lo Fidelity, High Anxiety”. I laughed, I cried, I
hurled. I was first exposed to this album in my mid-teens, and it was one of my main inspirations when I tried to start writing my own songs.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Every Foo Fighters album between 2002 and 2007.

First concert attended?
I was too young to remember exactly, but it was either The Rolling Stones or Bruce Springsteen.

Last concert?
The Red Western at Brillobox.

Favorite concert ever?
Creta Bourzia & Sunday Driver upstairs at Groovy's back in 1997 (I think) in the South Side. I just got my driver's license, and these were two of my favorite local bands. I remember sneaking a tape recorder into the show to record it because neither band had a proper release at the time.

Least favorite concert?
Weezer at Metropol in 1996 during their 'Pinkerton' tour. The drummer played half-ass the entire show and sucked the life out of every song. My 15 year-old heart was shattered.

Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
There are so many kind and talented dudes & dudettes that I've met in Pittsburgh, so many awesome local bands, artists, photographers, etc. I'm thankful to know them and to have had the chance to play/work with them. Also, much love to the local venues, newspapers, and websites that continue to support local music.
 

Thanks, Brian. Let me just sat that we love you back bro!

No comments: