Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Best of 2011-Show of the Year # 3 - J Roddy Walston and the Business


 
This entire night, opener and headliner, was such a surprise to me that it had to make the year end list. I heard a little noise about this band, mainly from the not so subtle adulation of my man Scott Mervis. I was knocked over by the band's first song, blistering out of the gate on a sunny early evening outdoors, no less. They never let up and despite the unusual setting for a hairy 'bar band' (I use that term with the utmost respect), they tore through their set with white knuckle abandon...and they were the opening act!
I am really grateful that J Roddy took the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

 
The first album you ever bought?
DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince - ‘Parents Just Don't Understand’.

Your last album bought?
The Flaming Lips - ‘Transmissions from the Satellite Heart’.

Favorite album of all time?
Randy Newman – ‘Sail Away’.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Hmm…seems mean.

First concert attended?
The Allman Brothers Band.

Last concert?
Band of Horses.

Favorite concert ever?
Old white guys doing Prince covers as country songs in a dive bar in my home town.

Least favorite concert?
Old white guys doing straight Beastie Boys covers in a dive bar in my home town.


Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
I think Pittsburgh is a super under rated town. Pretty much one of my favorite rustbelt towns. Also had one of the best cups of coffee ever in Pittsburgh.


J Roddy was also in a 2011 year end mood as he sent over some of his favorite releases of the year:
Deer Tick ‘Divine Providence’.
Jonny Corndawg ‘Down On The Bikini Line’.
Reptar ‘Oblangle Fizz Y’all’.
Cary Ann Hearst ‘Lions and Lambs’.
Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. ‘It's a Corporate World’.
My Morning Jacket ‘Circuital’.
‘Drive’ the movie soundtrack.
Delorean ‘American Craze’.
Gunfight! ‘Frontier Land’ (2010 but I don't care).

Thanks man. Not trying to be mean with some questions, just honest. Impossible to like everything. Really hope to see you in Pittsburgh again soon.

No comments: