Thursday, April 30, 2015

First/Last-Spacefish


"Abducted as children, and again in early 2014, the members of Spacefish have since been surveyed and deemed worthy by galactic travelers to form a static twosome of a band in pursuit of world-change and betterment for the terrestrial lifestyle."

Spacefish is a Pittsburgh 'American gothic' duo that transcends genres (and space and time, for that matter). Their latest effort is the single 'Tin Man' and as you listen, I want to thank Bubba Clowson (Keys/Percussion/Sculpting) and Nate 'N.R.' Dibert (Guitar/Vocals) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

First album ever bought?
Bubba Clowson: I bought “The Beatles Greatest Hits 1967-1970” when I was 9 or 10. I bought many more soon after.
Nate Dibert: “Demon Days” by the Gorillaz. I was fourteen and waiting for their video (“Feel Good Inc.”) to play on MTV almost every morning before school. Ironically enough, I hated the album after I bought it. But, thankfully, two years passed; I grew wiser. We’ve been best friends ever since.

Last album bought?
Nate: Man Man’s “The Man in a Blue Turban with a Face”. It’s wildly percussive. It shimmers frightfully. I recommend it to anyone or any thing looking for something they haven’t quite found yet. There’s one line that goes: “Wait for the rain storm to come wash the scum off.” That sounds perfect to me.
Bub: “Fate” by Dr. Dog. I’ve been going through a miraculous Dr. Dog phase after seeing them play live. Right now, they’re all that I listen to, and dishing out the money for one of their albums is a no-brainer.

Favorite album ever?
Bub: If you’re gonna put a gun to my head, I would have to choose something from The Beatles. Most likely “Rubber Soul” or “The White Album”. Those two albums speak to me most.
Nate: I can’t choose. I refuse to choose. I will say, though, that Foxygen’s “We Are The 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace and Magic” is one of the most well-crafted albums I’ve listened to in a long time. It’s a solid 10/10. Please don’t shoot me.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Nate & Bub (in unison): “Turn Blue” by The Black Keys. After hearing the first single from that album, my stomach sank to the floor and felt like I lost a best friend. That band is so important to me, and it’s nearly unbearable to watch them dish out mediocre tunes that lack the soul and spirit of their previous albums. Sorry Dan and Pat, but we all know you can do better.

First concert attended?
Nate: Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers in Burgettstown, PA. Months before the show, I bought (nearly all) their albums and treated them like jewels. It was love. Haven’t missed a PA show since.
Bub: I went to see Jackyl when I was about 16, and for a first “concert” it was pretty insane. I’m not a huge fan of their music, but watching a guy destroying things with a chainsaw on stage was pretty inspiring.

Last concert?
Nate: We both just saw Foxygen. It was killer. I’ve never seen a band put that much work into a show. They had everything: stellar energy, wit, and a flawless performance. There were skits and wild dances and a luau thrift themed stage set-up (complete with tiki decor and raggedy Ann). We couldn’t have been more awed.

Favorite concert ever?
Bub: Jack White in Cleveland last year was probably the best concert I’ve ever seen. I was basically front row for my favorite musician of all time, and that’s pretty hard to beat. The energy is out of this world at his shows, and the band he carries with him is incredible. Jack White is a must see for any concert goer.
Nate: I’m still in shock from Foxygen. But, if you ever get the chance to see The Kills, The Growlers, Dr. Dog, St. Vincent or Mac Demarco, then go, you fool! You won’t be disappointed.

Least favorite concert?
Bub: I absolutely hate saying this, but I saw Bob Dylan in Johnstown, PA in 2012 (I think), and it was horrendous. Bob is one of my musical heroes, and it was so disappointing to see my favorite Dylan tunes being torn apart by the man who wrote them. I could barely recognize the songs that were being played, and the show seemed fake in a way. I don’t blame Bob at all for the performance; I mean, the dude’s been doing this forever. It just wasn’t what I was expecting, that’s all.


Favorite thoughts. experiences about Pittsburgh?
Nate: The Mattress Factory is one of my favorite places to visit in Pittsburgh. They have a carnival installation currently. Also, Runaway Studios is a neat place for a good night. Every show we’ve played in Pittsburgh has been phenomenal. The people are great. The energy is static (that’s a good thing). And it’s all very open-minded and accepting of our shenanigans. We played a show back in December, and we faked Bub’s death onstage. It happened to be his birthday that night, too. I told the crowd I’d promised him a drum solo on his special day. He faked a heart attack in the middle of it, and we had a lot of folks fooled into thinking something was seriously wrong. Then, we played a jam/ritual that slowly brought him back to life. The crowd handled it very well, and it became a highlight of the night. We’ve played shows before where that kind of stuff just doesn't fly well with people. We’re thankful for the Pittsburgh audience.
Bub: Playing live is honestly my fondest memory of the city. I had a great time on stage, and I feel Nate and I set the bar fairly high for the other bands that followed. I’ve never had a bad experience in the city. I’ve seen a ton of shows there, as well as baseball and hockey games, and I can’t say that I’ve ever had a bad time. It’s a great place to be, and I can definitely see myself spending more time there.

Thanks, guys. I am so glad I discovered your music. You have something unique yet so familiar going on. Looking forward to see you play out live soon.

No comments: