Monday, February 24, 2014

First/Last-The Deceptions


"With mature lyrics and diverse musicality. The music of the Deceptions remains unpredictable, yet listenable. The composition of their vast original catalog ranges from guitar-driven epics, to folk-style sing-a-longs. Their sound is influenced by a number of artists including Neil Young, Wilco, Ryan Adams, the Counting Crows, The Old 97s, and The Jayhawks. "

Check out the Americana band from Pittsburgh at their official Website, Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, YouTube, ReverbNation and Tumblr. The band's latest from 2012 is the aptly named "Tall Tales from Green Meadows". Check out an earlier live session from 2010 at WYEP. I want to thank Jared Fretz (Guitar/Vocals) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
I can't remember the first album that I spent my own money on but my first record was John Mellencamp's “Uh Huh”.

Your last album bought?
“It is So You” by Gold and the Rush.

Favorite album of all time?
It's a toss up between Wilco's “Yankee Hotel Foxtrot” and The Beatles' “Sgt. Pepper's”.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Not sure. I can usually find something I like on an album.

First concert attended?
Bob Dylan.

Last concert?
Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Favorite concert ever?
The Hold Steady. I saw them after “Boys and Girls in America” came out. High energy, great show!

Least favorite concert?
Todd Snider. I've seen him a handful of times and he was always great. The bad show was at Club CafĂ© the night of the St Patrick's Day parade. The crowd was at a state of drunkenness that made the show really hard to appreciate.


Favorite thoughts, experiences. about Pittsburgh?
I really love how supportive local bands and musicians are of each other. This town has great heart.

Thanks, Jared. I may have been at that Hold Steady gig. Great show for sure.

No comments: