Thursday, November 14, 2013

First/Last-Winkie


"WINKIE is a Brooklyn based duo creating dark, distorted electronic gaze music."

Check out the band at their official Website, Facebook, BandCamp, SoundCloud and Twitter. The NYC duo are husband and wife Peter Santiago (Bass/Keys) and Gina Spiteri (Keys/Vocals) and their latest album is the highly enjoyable "One Day We Pretended To Be Ghosts". Their sound has been compared to The Cranes, My Bloody Valentine and Bleak. I really want to thank them for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
Gina Spiteri: I think it was Stacy Q. I loved her. She was so skinny.
Peter Santiago: Hmmm… it might have been either “Number of the Beast” or “Powerslave” by Iron Maiden.

Your last album bought?
Peter: HTRK “Poison (Mika Vainio Remix)”.
Gina:  Depeche Mode “Delta Machine”. My most recent listen however is Helen Marnie's (Ladytron) solo album "Crystal World" which Peter gave me. I love it.

Favorite album of all time?
Gina: This varies daily. I cannot narrow down one album as the absolute best ever however “Psychocandy” is always up there as one of my very faves... not sometimes... always....
Peter: My favorite album(s) will shift, depending on my mood. For this fall, it’s between: Nico “The End” / Cluster “Zuckerzeit”.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Peter: “Crystal World” by Marnie was initially disappointing. I was expecting a different album after hearing bits of “Submariner”. I put it away after two listens. Thankfully, after re-visiting it, I am really starting to enjoy the songs.
Gina: I thought William Reid was going to put out a prolific, life changing solo album years ago and he definitely did not deliver. It did not change my life like Love and Rockets did when I was 12.

First concert attended?
Gina: New Order, Public Image Limited, The Sugarcubes, 1989, Jones Beach, NY.
Peter: My older sister brought me to a Lisa Lisa and The Cult Jam concert (at a local college).

Last concert?
Peter: Dead Leaf Echo, The Stargazer Lilies and The Veldt at Paper Box.
Gina: I can't remember the last show because we are always at shows but within the past few months the most memorable was Light Asylum.

Favorite concert ever?
Gina: This is hard. A few memorable ones. The Twilight Singers, Warsaw, Brooklyn, 2006: We have seen Greg Dulli many times and he never disappoints. Really. Talented. Guy.
Ministry, Lollapolooza, 1992. There was so much going on during this performance which started as the sun was beginning to set in the middle of I don’t even know where? intense smoke on the stage, that crazy adorned microphone, industrial royalty weaving in and out of the fire eaters, acrobats, stage divers and everything else that was going on during their set. It completely sucked me in and I remember thinking that I wanted to be part of a band like Ministry. I was so young and I had no idea what was really up with this carnival of crazy... which was probably a good thing.
AA Place To Bury Strangers, Music Hall of Williamsburg, 2008. THIS BAND RULES. If you have not seen APTBS you are missing out on amazingness. I hope they make a zillion dollars one day. They deserve it.
Peter: The Creatures and John Cale (1998 at Club Life). Swans (2011 at Music Hall of Williamsburg). We both agree on A Place To Bury Strangers (2008 at Music Hall of Williamsburg). It was the perfect concert moment (sound, visuals and crowd).

Least favorite concert?
Peter: The Body Lovers (the show was cancelled and I was never able to see them perform).
Gina: Ozzfest. Somewhere in NJ, no idea what year. I don't want to knock a band, its hard performing live however this event, in its entirety, was not a good one for me. I was so preoccupied with not getting puked on, spit on or inappropriately touched at this show that I did not pay attention to anything else so I have no idea what the bands sounded like. I don't blame the performers as I've been to many hard rock & metal shows without incident but I remember being relieved when we were in the car on the way home.

Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Gina: Pittsburgh holds a very special place in my heart- We played with Pigface during the "Preaching to the Perverted" tour. Prior to Winkie, Peter and I played in another band called "Coup d'etat". There was a wedding at the show and we were so excited to be there playing with them that we did not care that it took like a thousand hours to get there in traffic. It was Pigface, Gravity Kills and Godhead, who were really nice, and I remember joking with them about racing back to NYC because they had a show at the Limelight the next day. We all made it back to NYC in time for the show.
Peter: Yes, I remember Club Laga, not having enough time to visit the Warhol Museum and Martin Atkins saying our powder blue van (with painted black flames) "…smells like coolant…".


Thanks, guys. I must say, that it's always fantastic when a band reaches out to me and I instantly dig what they are doing. Thanks so much for that.

No comments: