Tuesday, November 12, 2013

First/Last-Gold & The Rush


"Low-key but with a sinister edge at times, Gold and the Rush’s brand of roots-based, alt-country rock is a hypnotic hybrid of old and new. Supported by a tight rhythm section, augmented by some expert guitar noodling and spearheaded by McGregor’s shaky, yet haunting voice, Gold and the Rush are the kind of band that can soundtrack both the fun night out on the town and the inevitable despairing morning hangover (sometimes in the same song, in fact)." - Mark Rozeman (Paste)

Check out the band on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and BandCamp. We revisit Louisiana to hook up with Gold and the Rush on my journey through the Paste 50 States Project. I want to thank Jake McGregor (Guitar/Lead Vocals) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
Blink 182 “Dude Ranch”.

Your last album bought?
Jay Farrar and Ben Gibbard's “One Fast Move Or I'm Gone”.

Favorite album of all time?
That's hard. Bruce Springsteen's “Nebraska”.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Glenn Frey's “After Hours” (OK...it's gotta be damn hard to top “Eagles” 1972).

First concert attended?
Dixie Chicks with my mom at Staples Center in Los Angeles. I was the only boy in our group.

Last concert?
The Ton Ton's with My Father's Rifle and Dominique Lejeune at Gasa Gasa in New Orleans.

Favorite concert ever?
Blink 182 at Voodoo Fest.

Least favorite concert?
I asked a girl out in an Italian restaurant in DC but after she accepted she threw up and then said no. There was a jazz sax player performing that night and yeah, that show didn't leave me gleeing. But the guy did have some serious chops.


Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Well, I've never been to Pittsburgh but if Gold and the Rush ever passes through I'd love to check out Two Mellon Center. I think that building is beautiful.

Thanks, Jake. A Pittsburgh gig would be awesome. How about Sunday, January 5th at Howler's, perhaps? I'll be glad to take you to Two Mellon Center to check it out.

No comments: