Friday, October 25, 2013

First/Last-Softly, Dear


"Softly, Dear has a very ‘Wisconsin’ sound. Portico is the debut effort from this Eau Claire-based band, who formed late summer 2012. After brewing for a while, it’s ready to breathe. Softly, Dear is made up of Tyler Hart, Josh Frederick, Alex Adkinson, Ben Possi and Addie Strei."

Check out the self described "melodic, indie rock" band at their official Facebook, BandCamp, Twitter and Tumblr. Their latest release is the EP "Portico" via Mine All Mine Records, the CD version of which sold out but you can pick up the limited cassette copy. I want to thank Alex Adkinson (Drums/Backing Vocals) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
I could lie and say the first album I ever bought was something awesome like an early Wilco album, but the first album I remember actually purchasing was some punk compilation box set. I wanted to at least be familiar with the history of music for angsty preteens.

Your last album bought?
The last album I bought was actually really cool and it was two albums. I bought two of Kevin Greenspon’s albums on vinyl, beautiful music and he puts it out himself and is currently touring and playing in basements and living rooms, if you get a chance do not miss it. Awesome live visuals.

Favorite album of all time?
This is probably an impossible question to answer. Some albums are important because of music significance, personal significance, etc. I’ll try and merge the two and say “Kid A” by Radiohead.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
I guess my least favorite album would probably have to be whatever Skrillex album popularized bro-step.

First concert attended?
I went to a Green Day, Blink 182 and Saves the Day show with my dad. Wow, if you want some nostalgia go listen to Saves The Day, even if you never listened to it you will still hear it.

Last concert?
Coincidentally, it was Kevin Greenspon and Big Waves of Pretty in my basement.

Favorite concert ever?
Probably ‘Roo the year Radiohead played if that counts. Or, I know how this sounds but Jack Johnson at ‘Roo last year. It was magical, you had to be there.

Least favorite concert?
I love live music, so I don’t really have a least favorite.

Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
I went through it on a road trip once and I had a great time.

Thanks, Alex. Take another road trip and stop again, hopefully with the rest of the band and your gear!

No comments: