Tuesday, October 22, 2013

First/Last-Bill Eberle


"It is impossible to escape history. It informs the way that we view the world. It also informs the way we hear the world. In a country like America, with such a troubled past, there is plenty to listen to. This is not lost on Bill Eberle. Unable to stay in one place, he takes in all of the tradition that he can find, releasing it back into the world through his own lens. A kid who loved The Ramones to an adult who discovered Townes Van Zandt, his songs are quintessential American stories about working folk and drifters, sinners and redemption - all with a DIY punk attitude. From Pittsburgh to Brooklyn to Nashville, he is consistently pushing himself to find new ways to write his own history. Are you listening?"


Check Bill out at his official Website, Facebook, Twitter, BandCamp and YouTube. Bill released his self-titled debut this year and you should pick it up if you dig acoustic blues deeply steeped in Americana. I want to thank Bill (Guitar/Harmonica/Vocals) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
The first cassette I remember owning was “Dangerous” by Michael Jackson. I think I owned 3 of them cause I would just wear them out or they'd get stuck in my Walkman.

Your last album bought?
I bought “Tragic Songs of Life” by the Louvin Brothers on vinyl and “Not Cool” by Tim Easton at the same time. If you don't know or own either of those records, they'll treat you so well.

Favorite album of all time?
Hmmm... so tough. Pound for pound, my favorite album of all time is probably ‘The Last Waltz’ soundtrack. If you make it the box set, even better.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
I try and give the benefit of the doubt and say that any time an album disappoints me, it has more to do with my expectations based on the last album or what I've heard about the album, and where I am in my life. That said, I wasn't super into “King of Limbs” by Radiohead. They're big enough that I'll never meet them and have to answer for this... Oh, and I don't ever wanna hear Kings of Leon.

First concert attended?
My mom took me to see Mary Chapin Carpenter and The Mavericks at the AJ Palumbo Center when I was maybe 8. I have a super cool mom who took me to all kinds of shows as a kid and teenager.

Last concert?
Music City Roots a few weeks ago. It's a super cool radio show taping they do out at this barn here in Nashville, hosted by Jim Lauderdale. If you're ever just hanging out on a Wednesday night, you can listen to it streaming online. I'm always hearing about great new roots acts through this show.

Favorite concert ever?
Either Frightened Rabbit at Carnegie Mellon or Shovels and Rope at Bowery Ballroom. Both of them reminded me of why I love music. And being alive.

Least favorite concert?
Hmm... that's tough. I saw Laura Marling once at a park and she only played for 30 minutes or so. That was disappointing.


Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Where do I even begin?  I lived here until my mid-20's, and I miss it every day, and hope to make it back.  My friends, family, Butler St., peirogies, the Penguins, the Carnegie Library, and the Quiet Storm, especially since I hear it's going out of business...NO!!!!!

Thanks, Bill. Really love the album, man. Come back to Pittsburgh! You are always welcome.

No comments: