Wednesday, July 25, 2012

First/Last-In One Wind

Wednesday, July 25, 2012
Larryville

"Comprised of vocalist/guitarist Angelo Spagnolo, vocalist/keyboardist Mallory Glaser, bassist Robert Lundberg, multi-reedist Steven Lugerner, and drummer Max Jaffe – Brooklyn-based In One Wind has been called “one of the most inventive and satisfying new bands” by David Hadju of  The New Republic. The sudden rhythmic & dynamic shifts of their music juxtaposed against simple folk forms creates contrasting musical spaces – a sound that is defined by the instrumentation of all five members."

The band stops in Pittsburgh tonight at the Thunderbird celebrating the recent release of their new EP, "Lean" on Primary Records. Supporting will be special guests Leverage Models and Sleep Experiments. My thanks to Pittsburgh native! Angelo Spagnolo (Guitars/Vocals) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
Blind Melon's self-titled record. I got it randomly on one of those mail-in CD companies. I believe this was in '97, and I've pretty much listened to this record every month since then.

Your last album bought?
Normal Love's new album “Survival Tricks”. If you don't know about them you should! It's actually another Brooklyn-based band led by a native Pittsburgher and CAPA grad, Amnon Freidlin.

Favorite album of all time?
Ah, this is hard to say. I will say one of my favorite records is Mark Hollis' solo record. A few Bonnie "Prince" Billy records have really hit me recently. Also, ZS' “New Slaves” has been unstoppable.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Metallica's “St. Anger”. I was so excited for them to come out with a new record and it was just the worst.

First concert attended?
It was a triple threat in Pittsburgh: Lynyard Skynyrd / Ted Nugent / Deep Purple.

Last concert?
Extra Life's album release show with Dreebs. Charlie Looker's writing is so great. Very progressive writing but also coming from an tradition of mid-‘90’s rock and baroque.

Favorite concert ever?
I had a pretty amazing time a few months ago seeing The Beach Boys (including Brian Wilson) at the Beacon Theatre. They played a lot of “Pet Sounds” which was great. The cherry on top was Uncle Jessie from Full House came out and sang "Forever". My sister and I were giddy like school girls.

Least favorite concert?
This is hard to say. With all the rough shows I've been to there always seems to be some redeeming quality. Even if the music isn't great, at least we could dance, you know?
Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
I feel really fortunate to have my roots in Pittsburgh. I've had some amazing and supportive teachers over the years. I went to CAPA where I met some really great minds including Ben Opie. He's the best. I really hope the music scene continues to build there.

Thanks, Angelo. Pittsburgh boy making good! Love it, man.

No comments: