Wednesday, June 13, 2012

First/Last-Red Wanting Blue

Photo courtesy Jason Tanaka Blaney

Friday, June 15 and Saturday, June 16, 2012
Southside

"Led by singer-songwriter Scott Terry, Red Wanting Blue is proudly based in Columbus, Ohio, but might as well be America's local band. For years, the group had been hiding in plain sight as Terry went about logging thousands of miles on the road throughout the nation's heartland, making fans the hard way - one at a time. With only the aid of word of mouth, hard work and perseverance, Red Wanting Blue has established an exceedingly loyal following in and around the Midwest where the band regularly fills clubs normally reserved for bigger names. Terry's passionate and poetic songs, anchored by his powerful baritone, are the kind of tunes that could only have been written by a man who has lived this kind of life on the road. It's these songs and Terry's moving delivery of them that knocks 'em dead, but leaves 'em talking. Most importantly, it keeps 'em coming back for more."

The band stakes out an impressive two night residency at Club Cafe this upcoming weekend with The Floorwalkers supporting Friday and Nameless In August opening Saturday. My appreciation to Scott Terry for participating in this edition of First/Last.

 
The first album you ever bought?
The first album I ever bought with my own money was…I believe Herbie Hancock’s “Future Shock” on cassette. It had the single “Rocket” on it. I had high hopes of becoming a breakdancer. Back then, happiness was that album, parachute pants, and a big piece of cardboard to dance on. Good times.

Your last album bought?
Umm… let’s see. Most recently, I acquired a small collection of 8 track tapes I found at a local junk shop for the ripe old price of fifty cents. Some tapes worth mentioning…
Paul Simon, “Greatest Hits”, Bruce Springsteen, “Born To Run”, Johnny Cash and Jerry Lee Lewis, “Sing the Songs of Hank Williams”. How about those little treasures.
Who’s the big winner? Me, baby, Me. C’mon!

Favorite album of all time?
Jeez, this is an impossible question to answer! There’s too many favorites! This is a cruel question to ask to any musician. It’s probably a toss-up between Counting Crows, “August and Everything After”, R.E.M.’s “Automatic For The People” and Iron & Wine’s “Our Endless Numbered Days”. Those 3 are definitely in my desert island collection!

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Again, impossible to answer. There are a lot of duds out there, but I don’t know if I can answer this question. Only because even when an artist lays a bad music egg, it’s usually because they went out on a limb musically. Which is something that takes guts, and I commend them for that. If that answer isn’t good enough, I wasn’t thrilled with Scott Weiland’s Christmas crooner album, okay?

First concert attended?
Alternative Nation Tour with Soul Asylum, Spin Doctors, and Screaming Trees. It was awesome!

Last concert?
We just performed last week at the Summer Camp Music Festival in Illinois so we got to see a few great bands. Most notably: The Lumineers, Yonder Mountain String Band, and G.Love with Special Sauce playing with Warren Haynes.

Favorite concert ever?
The Black Crowes in 1999. I never saw Rock N’ Roll so singularly personified as I did when Chris Robinson hit the stage. It was face melter.

Least favorite concert?
Whenever an American Idol performs in a mall food court.
No, but seriously, I don’t have one. I’m sure I’ve witnessed some doozies, but off-hand none come to mind. Sorry.

Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Yeah, we think it’s amazing. Such a proud town. Proud of it’s industry, it’s sports teams, it’s Arts … AND it’s bands. When I first started RWB, I got to see The Clarks perform in Pittsburgh and it made me jealous to see their hometown so proud of them. It was unbelievable. It’s something I will always remember, and it’s something that I still strive for from our hometown.
Thanks for letting me ramble!  See ya soon!

Thanks Scott. Hey man, I for one love when musicians 'ramble' for these Q&As.

No comments: