Tuesday, May 3, 2016

First/Last - Murder for Girls


"This is a rock band from Pittsburgh, PA, USA. Since 2013.
Featuring members, now or then, of the Fuckies, Bunny Five Coat, Blindsider, Paris Green, Liverball, Zits of America and Lullaby Engine."

Murder for Girls is a riotous rock band from Pittsburgh who are releasing their latest full-length album All the Wishes this Thursday (5/5) with a show at the Thunderbird Cafe with support from Sun Hound and Reign Check. I want to thank Jonathan Bagamery (Bass) and Stephanie Wallace (Guitar/Vocals) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.



The first album you ever bought?
Jonathan Bagamery
: The Beatles Rubber Soul.
Stephanie Wallace: The Misfits Walk Among Us.


Your last album bought?
Jonathan: Dave Brubeck Quartet Take Five. I have bought this album three times. (I always have to sell my music and then sometimes buy it again at a later date.)
Stephanie: David Bowie Black Star.


Favorite album of all time?
Jonathan: Crystal Castles (II).
Stephanie: Funnel Dumb People Language.


Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Jonathan: Bjork Homogenic. As a rule, I like Bjork, but I bought that on cassette and was actually depressed at how boring it was.
Stephanie: Anything dated after '99.


First concert attended?
Jonathan: A show at City Lights roller rink. Probably late 1986. I think Necropolis played. First time I saw a circle pit.
Stephanie: Bon Jovi ‘Livin’ on a Prayer’ tour Civic Arena.


Last concert?
Jonathan: The show I played with Murder for Girls on April 1st.
Stephanie: Cameron Carpenter Heinz Hall.

Favorite concert ever?
Jonathan: Throwing Muses with R.E.M. Civic Arena. Or the first Lollapalooza, which I saw in Cleveland and then drove to see again in Fairfax, Virginia.
Stephanie: Gary Numan ‘Splinter’ tour at Altar.


Least favorite concert?
Jonathan: Ziggy Marley Civic Arena. I just found the whole thing tedious and felt dumb for being there.
Stephanie: Cat Power when she fell asleep onstage at Laga.


Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Jonathan: Just some random musical things: buying Sonic Youth's EVOL at Eide's on a sunny day in 1989, playing the Upstage Lounge in 1990, loading into the Electric Banana around 30 times or so, Lithapalooza, many hours of hanging flyers, having drunken Robert Pollard collapse at my feet at Graffiti, seeing Sonic Youth live at the Three Rivers Arts Festival, joining up with Liverball, Ladyfest, R.A.N.T., hugging Mike Watt at Brillobox, meeting many other good people and playing good music with Murder for Girls.
Stephanie: The only place I ever want to come home to.


Thanks, Jonathan and Stephanie. I have been really diggin' the new album. Should be a banger on Thursday!

No comments: