Tuesday, May 10, 2016

First/Last - Fossil Jane

http://f4.bcbits.com/img/a3946695155_16.jpg

" I'm not a girl; not yet a woman. All I need is time. A moment that is mine. While I'm in between. ♥"

Fossil Jane is the moniker of Pittsburgh based indie singer-songwriter Olivia Price. She is working on material as I publish this and expect to see her out more and more. As we all welcome her to the scene, I want to thank her for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.


The first album you ever bought?
If my memory serves me right, my first CD purchase was Shania Twain's Come On Over when I was 5 years old.  However, before that, I practically non-stop listened to my mom's Joan Osborne and Sarah McLachlan cassette tapes.

Your last album bought?
All Dogs Kicking Every Day.

Favorite album of all time?
This is honestly THE hardest question that I couldn't even answer, but the albums I've most regularly revisited are:
Fleetwood Mac The Dance (Live 1997 album), The Shins Wincing the Night Away, and Wintersleep Welcome to the Night Sky.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Every album Coldplay's put out since Viva la Vida has been disappointing to me, which super stinks because I'm otherwise a big fan. I also have to say I quite dislike Ingrid Michaelson's Lights Out album. I grew up listening to her and loved her alt-folk songs, and I definitely get the impression she's just in it to be a famous pop star now, whatever the creative cost. Everything on that record is so formula-based and lacks any innovation and emotion.

First concert attended?
Haha - Hanson! I was admittedly a huge boy band fan once upon a time.

Last concert?
A few weeks ago, I saw Pgh's Short Fictions play with Broken Beak at Mr. Roboto. Also, I recently got to attend a Sofar session in Philly that featured the amaaazing Gracie & Rachel and Animal Flag.

Favorite concert ever?
Honestly, I saw Coldplay in Pgh back in 2009, and that was such an amazing experience.  Despite what I typically listen to, old-school Coldplay will always be one of my faves and their energy is spectacular.  Also, any Dr. Dog concert ever.  Dr. Dog fans are the most fun people you'll ever meet - everyone is just so happy and dancey.

Least favorite concert?
My high school talent show performance of Sara Bareilles' Gravity.  May we forever forget.

Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Pittsburgh is a city of hidden gems, and it took me 22 years to realize that. Living in the outskirts, I never knew just how much of a tight-knit art and music scene exists here. We may be known for our die-hard sports fans, but there is truly something for every kind of fanatic. Also, as someone who frequently travels to different cities, Pittsburghers are some of the friendliest people you'll ever meet, wow.

Thanks, Olivia. I have to agree on the people here being friendly. I worked on film production many years ago and the out-of-town crew members would say the same thing constantly.

No comments: