Monday, January 27, 2014

First/Last-The Options


"The Options are a four piece rock band from Pittsburgh. Our songs express a music snapshot from the experiences of four teenagers from the suburbs of Western Pennsylvania."

Check out the band on Facebook, ReverbNation, MySpace, YouTube, Twitter, SoundCloud and BandCamp. It's amazing to me the young musical talent that is emerging from Pittsburgh at the moment. This band of high-schoolers released their debut album, "Alright" in 2012 where you can grab it at iTunes and CD Baby. They are working on their sophomore effort to be released shortly. I want to thank Jake Leya (Drums/Keyboards), Zack Leya (Guitars) and Matt Bauman (Bass) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
Jake Leya: “Tommy” by The Who.
Zack Leya: To be honest, I don't remember the first album I bought. I just listened to what Jake got.
Matt Bauman: “American Idiot” by Green Day.

Your last album bought?
Jake: “Human After All” by Daft Punk.
Zack: "Internal Exile" by Los Illegals.
Matt: “Lonerism” by Tame Impala.

Favorite album of all time?
Jake: “Quadrophenia” by The Who.
Zack: I'm far too indecisive to narrow it down, but if it helps, my favorite song is ‘Where Eagles Dare’ by The Misfits.
Matt: “Achtung Baby” by U2.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Jake: This is a really tough question. I'm not sure I can answer this one.
Zack: I'm sure there are worse albums out there, but The Offspring's "Days Go By" was hugely disappointing to me.
Matt: “King of Limbs” by Radiohead.

First concert attended?
Jake: I had been to many smaller shows before, but my first big stadium concert was The Who at the Verizon Center in D.C. in 2008.
Zack: My first arena/big venue concert was The Who in 2008.
Matt: Switchfoot.

Last concert?
Jake: Pearl Jam at Consol Energy Center in 2013.
Zack: Small Venue - Meeting of Important People at the Warhol Museum. Big venue - Black Keys at Consol Arena.
Matt: The Flaming Lips.

Favorite concert ever?
Jake: McCartney at Bonnaroo in 2013.
Zack: Rusted Root at Hartwood Acres in 2011.
Matt: Rusted Root.

Least favorite concert?
Jake: This is another difficult question to answer. I guess Canned Heat at Hartwood Acres in 2012 was one of my bigger let-downs.
Zack: I don't think I have a least favorite.
Matt: N/A.


Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Jake: Now that I live in the city, I've learned that there's always something to do in Pittsburgh, even if it is just walking around and enjoying the environment.
Zack: Pittsburgh is super cool city, but living in the suburbs makes me wish I saw the actual city much more often.
Matt: It’s the best city for its uniqueness. It has the perfect size, location, population and geography to do anything and go somewhere with it if you're good enough. There’s no other city in the entire world like it, and no matter where I go or end up Pittsburgh will always be the home that made it all possible. Also, Primanti Bros sandwiches are the best things besides music, so that’s another plus.

Thanks, fellas. I am seriously impressed at what you are doing at such a young age. It really makes me excited for the future of Pittsburgh music!

No comments: