Wednesday, January 29, 2014

First/Last-Nude Human


"A new collaboration between two prolific and innovative Madison musicians, Pat Reinholz (Weather Duo, Lovely Socialite, Crane Your Swan Neck) and John Praw Kruse (Pushmi-Pullyu, Fambly Fun, John Praw). Reinholz is a music educator, composer, and improvisor, who has been working in the Madison area for several years, collaborating with dancers, filmmakers, and other artists. Kruse is an accomplished ambient artist, and owner of Mine All Mine Records, a Madison-based label. This collaboration will bring the two of them together in performance for the first time."
  - Surrounded By Reality

Check the band out on their Facebook, BandCamp, SoundCloud and Tumblr. Their latest is the single 'Is Is Is Not Is Not' via Mine All Mine Records. I want to thank John Praw and Patrick Reinholz for taking a few to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
John Praw: With my own money? Probably “Stunt” by Barenaked Ladies. I loved that band as a kid.
Patrick Reinholz: Ace of Base “The Sign”.

Your last album bought?
John: A split 12" 45 between Golden Donna and Cc on CGI Records. Joel Shanahan (Golden Donna) is a great guy, and he makes a lot of sounds that I'd never think to make.
Patrick: Chris Thile “Bach: Sonatas & Partitas 1”.

Favorite album of all time?
John: This is a hard one, but the album I've listened to the most has to be “Alopecia” by WHY?. I just loved everything about that album the first time I heard it, and still do.
Patrick: “Kid A”.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
John: It's not my least favorite, but I was initially pretty disappointed by “Mumps, etc.”, WHY?'s first full-length after “Alopecia”. It's really grown on me since then, though.
Patrick: I don't know if I have one.

First concert attended?
John: The first real concert I ever attended was a ‘Weird Al’ show with my uncle. I've since seen him twice, and even though I don't really listen to him as an adult, I'd recommend everyone see the amazing show he puts on.
Patrick: Chumbawumba.

Last concert?
John: The last show I went to was the release show for Golden Donna's split (mentioned above). I go to a lot of shows.
Patrick: Unrehearsed MKE #11.

Favorite concert ever?
John: My absolute favorite was seeing Joanna Newsom with a full 28-piece orchestra. I was hesitant to spend $35+ on a ticket, but it turned out to be one of only a handful of performances with an orchestra. She played the entirety of her album “Ys” from start to finish with the orchestra, then took an intermission. After the break, she came back and played an equally long second set with a two-man backing band. It was amazing.
Patrick: Too many to count...


Least favorite concert?
John: I played a show with some terrible high school kids making noise stuff on their synths. They only played The Black Keys, and they played for well over an hour. Eventually people just left.
Patrick: The Kings of Leon were pretty boring in 2007.

Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
John: Everything I know about Pittsburgh would be on the Wikipedia page. I'd like to see your museums, but I've never been there. Hopefully soon?
Patrick: I had a really good hummus plate when I was on tour...somewhere near Carnegie Mellon.


Thanks, guys. If I ever made a word cloud with all the answers musicians have submitted over the years, 'Weird Al' would be one of the largest words. Seems like everyone (and their father) went to see him when they were young.

No comments: