Friday, January 28, 2011

First/Last-Anya Marina

Image courtesy of the artist.

Whether you realize it or not, there are a ton of live music options occurring in Pittsburgh tonight. One of them is the Joshua Radin show at Mr. Smalls. Booked as support is Portland musician Anya Marina. She was way cool enough to participate in this edition of First/Last Friday.


The first album you ever bought?
Donny & Marie – Goin’ Coconuts.

Your last album bought?
Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest.

Favorite album of all time?
The White Album – Beatles.

First concert attended?
George Michael - Faith tour. I was SHOCKED when he came out. He was my fantasy boyfriend.

Last concert?
Wild Flag at Bunk Bar in Portland, OR.

Favorite concert ever?
Sinead O'Connor in the 90s was life changing.
So were Liz Phair and Jewel in SF in 1994.
Flaming Lips in San Diego (2006?) when I got to wear an owl costume and dance with them onstage (although after 20 minutes of doing the electric slide in a costume wore by hundreds of sweaty fans you start to feel like maybe you should've brought disinfectant. )

Least favorite concert?
I usually duck out before I can remember whatever the band's called that I'm not that into. 50% of the time I leave a show early it's because I'm either hungry or there's an episode of something embarrassing waiting for me on my DVR.

Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
My dearly departed godfather David used to live there near a place called the Shamrock Inn. I had fond memories of visiting him as a kid and going to a nearby aviary.
After he died I made my then-musician boyfriend, find that bar on a tour stop. He said he almost got mugged by a couple of crackheads while he was there, so I guess the neighborhood had changed a bit. I'm hoping to have some fun experiences like that to write home about!


Thanks Anya. Pittsburgh= crackheads? Hopefully you have some time to explore the city and change your perception a little this time around.

No comments: