Friday, December 24, 2010

Miles Kurosky
The Desert of Shallow Effects
Released March 9, 2010

I end my 2010 year end Advent album countdown with Miles' solo album. Better known as the front man to Beulah, he not only released a great disc but put on one of the better concerts I saw this year. Not only was he cool as hell dude in person, he was nice enough to participate in the final installment of First/Last for 2010!


The first album you ever bought?
I can't really remember the exact record. However, I do remember buying a lot of live records when I was a little kid because they contained all the hits, or recognizable songs. So it was probably something like The Beatles "Live at the Hollywood Bowl" or Cheap Trick "At Budokan".

Your last album bought?
Nigeria Special: Modern Highlife Afro Sounds.

Favorite album of all time?
It's impossible to pick just one. If someone put a gun to my head I'd probably pick something by The Beatles or Bowie.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
I don't have a least favorite, but I do remember the very first time I was disappointed by a record. "For Those About to Rock We Salute You" by AC/DC.

First concert attended?
Tears for Fears in '83 or '84, Hollywood, CA.

Last concert?
My own.

Favorite concert ever?
Nirvana opening for Dinosaur Jr. at Iguanas in Tijuana, Mexico or The Smiths during the Queen is Dead tour.

Least favorite concert?
Sebadoh at the Fillmore in San Francisco. Sometime in the '90s.

Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
I love Pittsburgh. My family is from Carnegie, about 6 miles away from "dahntahn". Me, the missus, and my dad try to fly back every couple years to catch a Steelers game. I rock Troy's jersey, the wife rocks Hines' jersey, while the old man refuses to rock anything. While he bleeds black and gold, he won't even wave a terrible towel. Sigh.


Thanks so much Miles. Carnegie, PA! My wife grew up in Carnegie. Your album and show will be firmly placed in my Top 10 lists of the year.

No comments: