Thursday, December 23, 2010

First/Last-Kevin Murphy

The Moondoggies
Tidelands
Released October 12, 2010

One of the great surprises for me this year was discovering The Moondoggies. They opened for Blitzen Trapper at Diesel in June and I thought they were great, even better than the headliner. They put out their second album in the fall and singer/guitarist Kevin Murphy was cool enough to participate in this penultimate edition of the 2010 year end First/Last countdown.

The first album you ever bought?
I think it was The Beatles Past Masters vol II...it was my first purchased cd...but I was really raised on mix tapes and my sister’s cd collection so I didn't really NEED to have my own until around 5th grade. They got me started early.

Your last album bought?
The Ted lucas reissue...I can tell you the next album I will buy. The Jim Sullivan U.F.O record on the Light in the Attic label. It's rad.

Favorite album of all time?
I don't have a favorite, it's a temperamental thing...depends how I feel at the time. If I had to pick it might be a Beatles album...White Album or something.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
I can't say specifically, but I'm sure we've all picked up a record from someone we liked and it was maybe say something from the 80's or during a time they weren't the most creative or were really hung up on a drug or something like that.

First concert attended?
Well I was raised in the church early on and there were "events" and I went to those type of things, but legit shows were all ages festivals in middle school like Bumbershoot here in Seattle. Sean Lennon was someone I remember seeing there, and Cracker. Of course local battle of the bands type events happened around that time too.

Last concert?
Cave Singers....we opened but I stayed out of the green room to enjoy it all. Sometimes on tour I spend a little part of the show chilling out away from the cluster of people...I get anxiety if I'm around that kind of atmosphere every night non stop.

Favorite concert ever?
A few of my favorites were Blonde Redhead, Built To Spill, Neil Young, Murder City Devils...I have a hard time saying different kind of shows are better then another because It's different experiences.

Least favorite concert?
I saw Lou Reed perform The Raven like 6 years ago, I really tried to enjoy it...but...eh.

Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
HA! You want me to mention how Superbowl 40 was a big joke?


Thanks Kevin. Being a Steelers fan, I do have to kind of/sort of/maybe agree with your opinion of Super Bowl 40. Possibly...

No comments: