Thursday, November 27, 2014

First/Last-Good Ship Gibraltar


"Distortion on everything" - Loudini Rock 'n Roll Circus Radio Show

Good Ship Gibraltar is a rock and roll band from Monongahela, PA. They play a fun show this Saturday (11/29) at Brillobox on a bill with The Semi-Supervillians and Jontitrot. I want to thank Ryan Mocniak (Guitar/Vocals) and Rich Pantaleo (Keyboards) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.


The first album you ever bought?
Ryan Mocniak: Ozzy Osbourne “Blizzard of Ozz”.
Rich Pantaleo: It was either “Bang! Zoom” by Bobby McFerrin or “Alapalozza” by ‘Weird’ Al. Both are on cassette!

Your last album bought?
Ryan: Blood, Sweet & Tears (Self Titled - 2nd Album).
Rich: “Fugue State” by Vulfpeck.

Favorite album of all time?
Ryan: That's a tough one. The album I've listened to from start to finish the most is “Led Zeppelin II”.
Rich: “Kind of Blue” Miles Davis.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Ryan: I don't know cause I wouldn't listen to it.
Rich: “Elephant” by The White Stripes. It just wasn't what I was expecting it to be.

First concert attended?
Ryan: Rush, ‘Vapor Trails Tour’, 2002.
Rich: My dad would take me to Sunday night Pittsburgh Jazz Society shows when I was a kid, but I don't necessarily consider those to be concerts. Allman Brothers Band at Star Lake in 2005 would be my first real concert experience (big venue, massive PA system, drunk middle-aged woman trying to dance with me half the night). My buddy got us amazing seats for like $25; we were only 4 or 5 rows back from the stage.

Last concert?
Ryan: Black Keys with Cafe the Elephant, 2014.
Rich: Snarky Puppy this past summer at the Pittsburgh Jazz Festival.

Favorite concert ever?
Ryan: AC/DC at the Civic Arena in 2009.
Rich: Snarky Puppy at an outdoor concert in Greensburg during the Summer of 2013. It was my first time seeing them live. They debuted a new song (now my favorite of theirs) as the first tune in their set and it completely blew me away.

Least favorite concert?
Ryan: Nothing comes to mind right this minute. I usually enjoy live music even when it’s not my favorite bands performing. And afterwards I usually want to go grab a guitar and start playing.
Rich: I can’t name a specific one, but anytime the house sound is bad, my enjoyment of the show is diminished considerably.


Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Ryan: Biking through all of the surrounding neighborhoods and trails, going to and watching Penguins games, and taking advantage of the Pittsburgh jazz music scene. The players you meet are phenomenal and there is a lot you can learn from that particular style of music.
Rich: Being a college student in Oakland in 2006 and 2009 when the Steelers won the super bowl. Meeting Donnie Iris. All the legendary jazz musicians (living and deceased) born in here. Pittsburgh is the best city in the world!


Thanks, guys. Should be a super fun gig on Saturday, for sure.

No comments: