Thursday, February 20, 2014

First/Last-Murder For Girls


"This is a rock band from Pittsburgh, PA, USA. Since 2013.
Featuring members, now or then, of the Fuckies, Bunny Five Coat, Blindsider, and Lullaby Engine."

Check out the band on Facebook and Twitter. The band consists of three ladies and Jonathan Bagamery on bass. They play their very first gig tomorrow at The Smiling Moose for the late show with Brazilian Wax and Dead River. I want to thank Michele Dunlap (Drums/Vocals), Tammy Wallace (Rythm Guitar/Vocals) and Zorahna (Lead Guitar/Vocals) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
Michele Dunlap: Janis Joplin “Greatest Hits”.
Tammy Wallace: “Thriller” Michael Jackson.
Zorahna: Dead Kennedys “Bedtime for Democracy”.

Your last album bought?
Michele: Yeah Yeah Yeahs “Show Your Bones”.
Tammy: I don't buy much anymore. I usually stream music, but it was “Songs for Slim, The “Replacements, which was for a good cause.
Zorahna: “Cellular Chaos”.

Favorite album of all time?
Michele: Yeah Yeah Yeahs “Fever to Tell”.
Tammy: "Tim” the Replacements.
Zorahna: “The White Album” The Beatles.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Michele: Bought a Limp Biscuit CD when I was in high school because I liked their version of George Michael's ‘Faith’. After hearing the rest of the songs, I tossed it out onto Highway 51.
Tammy: The Distillers "Coral Fang," I suppose, after the first two albums.
Zorahna: Not going to say. That's rude.

First concert attended?
Michele: Rusted Root.
Tammy: Def Leppard/Queensryche.
Zorahna: I remember seeing this amazing Koto performance my father took me to when I was maybe 10.

Last concert?
Michele: Foxy Shazam.
Tammy: National act: Pearl Jam at the Consol. Local: Megawolf/Crooked Cobras/Gambis/Grumpy/Bill Jasper at Excuses.
Zorahna: The Pixies. I usually only go to shows that are 5 bucks. Not that I am upholding some punk rock principle, but as a working single parent, I have no money. However, my friend had tickets and I got to see The Pixies.

Favorite concert ever?
Michele: Smashing Pumpkins.
Tammy: Paul Westerberg, ‘Eventually’ tour, Metropol. Notable mentions: Corin Tucker, Brillobox; Bad Religion, Club Laga.
Zorahna: The Pixies.

Least favorite concert?
Michele: Saw Billy Idol once . . .   all I could do was toss back as much IC Light as possible and hope that he was better in the 80's.
Tammy: Maybe Lynyrd Skynyrd--and not because of the music per se.
Zorahna: The Dead Milkmen. ONLY because some kid stage dove into Rodney's keys/lap top and broke it, and he started flipping out on the poor kid. It ruined the entire vibe. It was a good show up until then, but that killed it for me.

Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Michele: I'm just glad that there are so many venues supporting live, local music.
Tammy: Yinzers!
Zorahna: I lived in San Diego for 11 years before moving back here. Pittsburgh has been a very grounding experience. I finished nursing school, was able to get a home here. When I was done with school, I got back into music again. I've been able to play with and meet some really amazing people. There are so many great musicians here and bands no one even knows about.

Thanks, ladies. Seems like a fun night, tomorrow. Really appreciate you taking the time.

No comments: