Friday, February 28, 2014

First/Last-Guests of Guests


Check out the band on Facebook, ReverbNation and BandCamp. The Pittsburgh-based 'Americana-Garage-Folk-Rock' duo consists of Bobby Valentine (Guitar/Vocals) and Jolie Valentine (Double Bass). They released their debut "PA Dirt" late last year and I want to thank them both for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
Bobby Valentine: I can't remember the first album I ever bought, but I remember my mom telling me it was awful and forced me to listen to the album “Arthur” by The Kinks, the first track of which is 'Victoria.' I listened to that song about a thousand times before ever making it to track 2. Huge Kinks fan since. Thanks Mom.
Jolie Valentine: Green Day's “Dookie”.

Your last album bought?
 Bobby: “Venus and the Cat” by Son of Bitch, by far one of my favorite groups, local or otherwise.
Jolie: Shakey Graves albums.

Favorite album of all time?
Bobby: “Souvenirs” by John Prine.
Jolie: It's hard to say, but I could pretty much listen to Deer Tick's “War Elephant” on repeat forever.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Bobby: Honesty any time I think I'm disappointed by an album I just put it away and come back to it. If anything I might be made curious by an artist's choices, but I'm never disappointed.
Jolie: I wouldn't say that I am ever really disappointed in an album. It's more that a band I really like starts to make changes to their music that I don't particularly like but I would still support them - one album that sticks out in my mind is Lucero's “Women and Work”. I love their music and will always support them, but that album took a direction that I didn't particularly care for.

First concert attended?
Bobby: No Doubt! 1995.
Jolie: Dave Matthews in the early 90’s.

Last concert?
Bobby: Locks and Dams with The Hills and the Rivers and Bryan McQuaid. Three really great acts. Love Pittsburgh music.
Jolie: Lucero at Mr. Smalls.

Favorite concert ever?
Bobby: Probably the first time I saw Cory Branan at Club Cafe. It made me seriously reevaluate what a live performance meant and how to go about it.
Jolie: William Elliott Whitmore at Club Café.

Least favorite concert?
Bobby: Any show where the band is disinterested or aloof. Shows should be communal and the audience and performers should share a mutual energy. A fun concert is a two part equation.
Jolie: Nothing really sticks out in my head as a least favorite concert. Live music is always a good time.

Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Bobby: Pittsburgh is this amazing anomaly where you can immerse yourself in cultural exploration, go on a secluded hike, take a 25 mile bike ride on a trail along a river (or three), and see a great show for five bucks all in the same day. The people here are down to Earth but not plain; smart without pretentious. Not to mention it's one of the most beautiful cities in the world.
Jolie: I was born and raised in Pittsburgh and find more and more reasons to love it all the time. It's a medium sized city that has a small town feel that is really homey. I love that you can pursue anything creative and there is a community in place that supports you.  There are always great events going on (mostly free!) so we are never bored. And if you wanted to get out of the city for a while, it's a 30 minute drive to some beautiful mountains!


Thanks, guys. I really appreciate your obvious affection to our region and it's underrated musicians. I can certainly relate.

No comments: