Wednesday, February 19, 2014

First/Last-Johnny Beauford


"Johnny Beauford (born November 24, 1984) is an American singer-songwriter, guitarist, and front man of Americana project The Jack Kerowax and long-time Dallas rock band bravo, max! He also plays bass guitar in Dallas-based rock band Deadmoon Choir, and co-founded St. Cait Record Company. Beauford currently lives in Dallas, TX where he writes and records with Deadmoon Choir, The Jack Kerowax, bravo, max!, and as an independent arist. He is known for his distinctive Americana style, soaring vocals, and narrative lyrics."

Check out Johnny at his official Website, Facebook and SoundCloud. His latest release is his sophomore solo LP, "A Pig Eating Past Love" via St. Cait Records. I want to thank him for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
Growing up, I was really into oldies (50's-60's). The first album I remember buying with my own money however was much a more modern one, “Marcy Playground” - self titled. I guess I would have been like 12 or 13 when it came out. I still like that record actually.

Your last album bought?
Led Zeppelin “In Through the Out Door”.

Favorite album of all time?
Sun Kil Moon “Ghosts of the Great Highway”.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Weezer “Maladroit”. The “Blue Album” was a huge part of the musical world for twelve year old me. The “Green Album” was super disappointing and by “Maladroit” I was just pissed that I spent money on the CD.

First concert attended?
I remember seeing Blue October at Gypsy Tea Room in Dallas when I was like 15. I'm sure it wasn't the first but it's as far back as my brain will take me I suppose.

Last concert?
The Thermals at Club Dada.

Favorite concert ever?
Probably Wilco at Austin City Limits (in 2007, I think). Believe it or not, I had never heard of them and just happened to be front and center waiting at that stage for Ben Harper's set. Like I said, I had never heard of them, so I was understandably blown away by the set. I mean they are phenomenal for Christs-sake. Nels cline was playing a solo with a wisk at some point. It was incredible.

Least favorite concert?
Fiona Apple at Verizon Theater. I was really hoping she'd be crazier, but she just played her songs and only got weird here and there.


Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
The Pirates are the coolest MLB mascot of all time.

Thanks, Johnny. Seeing Wilco for the first time absolutely cold? At ACL, no less? Pretty damn cool.

No comments: