Thursday, July 12, 2012

First/Last-Waterlaso

 Photo courtesy Aida Daneshvar

"Waterlaso is back with what they do best, writing some of the most melodic, emotional and timeless indie pop around. The Cure meets The Pains of Being Pure At Heart meets Belle & Sebastian. Blazing and majestic synth, blares gently over what LA Record has called Waterlaso's signature "Speed Shoegaze." This track is from one of two simultaneous album releases the band are putting out track by track, this one entitled A Dictionary of Sailing, and this song, its first single, is called "Rosebell." This being the band's 5th LP and second this year, whole-lotta shit going down for Waterlaso."
 
I get sent a lot of music considerations and I have to admit I was immediately intrigued when I heard this band's description. So far, the music lived up to the 'hype'. You can check out that first single 'Rosebell' here. My thanks to frontman Michael Cameron for participating in this edition of First/Last.
 
The first album you ever bought?
The soundtrack to “Breakin' 2 Electric Boogaloo” on vinyl.

Your last album bought?
At Venice Beach you end up with a collection of underground hip hop every visit, unless you're good at saying no. Otherwise, before you know it you're wearing headphones and handing over a dollar for a CDR.

Favorite album of all time?
Fine Young Cannibals, “The Raw & The Cooked”.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
I bought a Kicking Giant album a while ago, I don't remember what it sounds like now, but it wasn't like their amazing track that opens “Selector Dub Narcotic”, ‘Love Is’. Not many let downs since the ‘90’s, I've adjusted my standards.

First concert attended?
Neil Sedaka at Del Mar Fair in 1986.

Last concert?
We just saw Eleven Pond, and then Jesus & Mary Chain two days back to back last week.

Favorite concert ever?
Suede.

Least favorite concert?
I've been pretty lucky for the most part, but I've sat through some horrible shit waiting for other bands at Coachella.

Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
I like the idea of going there, I've actually thought about it, I've never been though. I remember writing a news story a long time ago about a Future Bible Heroes tour for Pitchfork, they were playing there, and I wished I could go to that show.
 
 
Thanks, Michael. Looking forward to hearing the rest of the songs as they are released.
 

No comments: