Friday, July 13, 2012

First/Last-Brian Siewiorek WYEP


I have been 'unofficially' shooting shows for WYEP-FM for two years now and I am celebrating this week by bringing you a special series of First/Lasts with the station's on-air personalities.

We conclude today with Brian who is the Production Director for WYEP as well as frequent on-air fill host. My thanks to him for participating in this edition of First/Last.


The first album you ever bought?
I came into discovering music late in life. I never bought a “record” as a kid. I skipped cassettes, and bought a CD player right away. My first CD was Faith No More’s “The Real Thing”, I blame MTV for that decision.

Your last album bought?
I got the “Flaming Lips with Heady Fwends” album a few weeks ago. Mostly out of curiosity to hear what they would do with people like Jim James, Yoko Ono, Nick Cave and Ke$ha!

Favorite album of all time?
This is such a difficult question. But I’m going to say Radiohead’s “OK Computer”, based on the fact that it is probably the album I have listened to the most. I find it’s a pretty good album to drive to, and it has gotten me through some pretty boring drives.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
The Velvet Underground's "Loaded". Without John Cale, the VU just wasn't the same for me.

First concert attended?
The first concert I saw on my own free will was The Dead Milkmen. I was a senior in High School and it was the first show I paid for and went to on my own. I'm sure my parents took me to some shows when I was younger, but I don't recall any of them.

Last concert?
Just saw The Dirty Projectors two days ago at Mr. Smalls.

Favorite concert ever?
I go to a lot of concerts, so this is hard. But, Tom Waits in Akron's Civic Theater a few years ago was pretty stunning. I was mesmerized.

Least favorite concert?
It pains me to say it, but Alex Chilton in Cleveland a few years ago. His songs are so great, and I love Big Star but he was playing all these sappy songs, a few Big Star songs and covers of oldies. I was bored, and I felt bad for being bored.

Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
This is a great town for music. There are lots of great musicians here, and there are always good bands coming through. I do take the occasional road trip to catch a band in another town, but I am pretty happy with what we have here.
Thanks, Brian. It's funny, I would have considered driving to another town to see a show more often than not maybe a few years ago but we seem have more than enough amazing gigs coming here now that I don't even think about it anymore.

No comments: