Thursday, July 26, 2012

First/Last-Eternal Summers

"What do you do when the guitar you wrote all your songs on gets stolen mid-tour and you’re too practical to run out and jack up your credit?  This might not seem like a major problem for most bands, but when you're the sparse duo of Eternal Summers and you are relying on that Parker Nitefly to compensate for high and low end, you can’t help feeling a bit exposed. After a futile appeal for sponsorship, Nicole Yun experiments with the Fender Telecaster she has on hand. She recognizes that while it cuts like a knife and has a gorgeous high range, it is missing that low edge. Suddenly glad that she and Daniel Cundiff never made a pact to remain solely a two-piece, they decide it is time to add a bassist. Daniel says, “Nicole and I had been bouncing the idea of adding a bassist around for a year or so because we were writing more complex songs and it seemed a disservice to the songs not to have the low tonal quality that a bass would provide.” Given the recent circumstances, they move into action."

The now trio Eternal Summers released it's sophomore record, Correct Behavior, this week on Kanine Records. I am really loving the lush 'poppiness' of this album. Serious contender for my year-end list for sure. My thanks to Nicole Yun (Guitars/Vocals) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
I inherited a lot of albums from my sisters but my first personal purchase was Green Day's “Dookie”.

Your last album bought?
Quilt, “Quilt”.

Favorite album of all time?
Smashing Pumpkins, “Siamese Dream”.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
One I recorded right before Eternal Summers started that never got finished.

First concert attended?
The Skatalites at Wolf Trap. It was my first ska show and started a really hilarious phase of my teenage life.

Last concert?
Bleeding Rainbow, Crocodiles and Sisu in Austin during SXSW 2012.

Favorite concert ever?
Smashing Pumpkins at US Air Arena (R.I.P.) in D.C., 1996. I caught a sunflower that Billy Corgan threw out to the crowd and scared a lot of people around me with my air guitaring. I had a great time!

Least favorite concert?
I don't stay if I don't like it.

Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
The Andy Warhol Museum was really refreshing while Daniel and I were on tour for our last album. I felt refueled psychologically and emotionally.

Thanks, Nicole. Beleive me, the Warhol always seems to have that effect on people, whether you are from here or not.

No comments: